Transfer Student Affect on Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm transferring to SUNY Stony Brook from a CUNY school due to financial reasons and other personal reasons as well. I'm considering the effect it will have on my application in the future. I've taken the general chem, bio, calc-physics sequence at my current school and I'm left with Orgo and Biochem. I plan on taking an additional 4 courses: genetics, mammalian physiology, microbiology, and others as well. I've look at some FAQ sites for medical school and it states that most courses should be taken at the school you're receiving your degree from. What will be the effect on my chances when I apply to medical school due to my transfer? My gpa currently is not stellar (3.5 for both cGPA and sGPA, but this is due to personal issues that I plan on addressing in my application. I plan on eating, sleeping, and breathing pre-med at Stony so hopefully A's all around. Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse but any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really familiar with SUNY/CUNY schools but I transferred after my sophomore year to another school due to financial reasons as well. My gpa from my first school was even worse (3.3) and managed to get it up to ~3.6cgpa/3.5gpa and did fairly well in this last cycle. So transferring didn't seem to harm my application. Message me if you wanna talk more specifics!

The statement that "most courses should be taken at the school you are receiving your degree" from is a message to students who would otherwise plan to take summer classes at a school they perceive at "easier". It does not mean that you can't transfer after 2 years and finish at a different school.

I transferred for both financial and non-financial reasons after 2 years at one uni, where I took the vast majority of my pre-med coursework. As LizzyM stated, the coursework rule is not directed at transfers. Transferring seems to have had zero effect on my application, and I had a successful cycle. Be prepared to answer why you transferred if asked, though I wasn't asked this in any of my interviews. Try to show GPA improvement at your new school (upward trend is good regardless of transferring, but especially important for transfers).