Transfer Student From Community Colllege

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tejerina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my second year of Community College and i wish to enter a four year school with a good pre-med program.
Now my problem: is there anyone that transfered from a CC to a four year school, and how many years did you spend at the university? I majored in liberal arts so in order for me to fulfill the required courses for med school, am I going to spend four years at the university? Please help anyone.. thank you!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I transferred twice(long,long story) and still only spent 3 years at a university! So, you may still be able to get it done in two years but probably no more than three. Good Luck!:)

I transferred from a community college, taking all my pre-med at the university and was able to finish in just over two years (two summers included.) Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey opus i'm willing to hear your story on how you only went to the university for three years. My ears are open:p

Tejerina, ok so I think what was most helpful was that I actually took the biology and chemistry pre-reqs at the community college. I transferred to St. Louis University and worked on their extra GE courses and also took the organic chem sequence anc calculus. (only there one year) Then, by a twist of fate I have ended up in California where they only required two more GE classes, physics, and all of my major electives(bio). I think what will be of most help to you is if you can find a university that will accept your community college work as fulfillment of their GE requirements. That is what saved me when I transferred the second time. Are you going to have an AA when you are finished at the CC? If so I know there are usually schools that will take your degree as covering their GE. Good luck to you! Oh I almost forgot, I did take one class last summer but that was just to lighten my fall semester a little.

:p

Hey Opus, thanx for your story. Unfortunately i haven't taken any bio/chem classes at my CC, i just took general Sci 101 and 102=/ . i got a's in both though... And yes I will be getting my A.A. this spring (may). I will probably be going to Fordham University, we'll see what happens.

Anyone else with a transfer story?? Dont be shy:cool:

I want to tell my story. I just transfer from a CC to a 4 year university. Come to find out that your need a certain amount of credits in order to be a junior(in my case). So that means that I will be taking the MCAT in 2003 but in 2004. I don't know if thats a good or bad thing. I still have time to complete all my requirements for med school.

Just be sure you understand the transferability of the CC's credits before you get too far.Be sure to check with the advisors at BOTH institutions to ensure no surprises that could translate into loooooog delays.The policy at my school is and I quote directly from their website "All course by definition at a community college or Junior college are non-advanced level(Fresh or Soph level).If organic Chenistry is taken at a two-year college then it will transfer as non-advanced hours.All courses transfer at the level at which they were taken and for the cerdit hours taken regardless of the institution.You will get credit for the course but you may be lacking in advanced hours.Meet with your advisor to determine if this effects your total and or advanced hours."
With all of this in mind I plan to take orgo at the 4 year institution.

In Oregon the Chancelor of higher education set the standard that universities HAVE to accept organic chemistry at the 300 level even if it was taken at a CC. The only restriction is that we must have taken the ACS national organic chemistry exam and scored above the 50% tile in the nation. Therefore, in Oregon organic chemistry DOES transfer as upper division credit to universities within Oregon.

If you get an Associate's at a CC, you'll get your bachelors at a 4 yr school in 3 more years? Am i understanding correctly? If so, why even take some of the classes? I heard that most, if not some med schools, don't accept CC credits. is that true? thanks

There are very few med schools that don't accept CC credit. In fact I've only heard of one that doesn't accept CC credit. Call the med schools that you are interested in to ask for sure. I know for CERTAIN that OHSU DOES accept CC credit. (I called and asked two years ago). If you plan it out in advance, there is no reason why you can't complete your B.S. after two years at a CC and two years at the university. I know of several people that have done it. The advantages to taking the first two years at a CC are price, personal attention, and the availability of help when you get stuck.

Any peeps on long island or nyc that are transferring to a four year institution? Anyone out there?