Transfer to a different hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case I get matched a program let's say categorical internal medicine program, for this year, and I didn't like the hospital, environment, etc. on my internship, would I be able to apply for different internal medicine programs for pgy2 positions again in next match? If yes how does one go about doing that.

Many Thanks in advance for your reply.

Members don't see this ad.

While not impossible, it won't be easy either. You'll need the support of your program director and a better reason than the fact that you don't like the hospital or environment. Chances are that even if you can transfer, you won't have the pick of the litter in terms of quality residencies (since many of the good ones may not have openings). You may have to repeat your PGY-1 year to get into a top IM residency, and even then you are a less attractive candidate due to funding issues. Your best bet would be to do an acting internship at the hospital you are interested in matching into. If that isn't feasible, really talk to the residents there and spend more time at the hospital when you interview. While I was on the interview trail, I asked residents for their phone numbers and email addresses. Best of luck to you.