transfer to US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all
i am international medical student , i have green card ,good USMLE STEP 1 score but no mcat or prereq courses they need for freshman admission
i'd like to know is there any chanse for me to transfer to US medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Very, very unlikely. Us Med schools very rarely accept transfers at all, even from each other. And, you would need at least 3 years of undergrad experience in the US to try. And, your USMLE would need to be more than "good". It would need to be >250-260. A 283 (the highest I have seen to date) would be better.

this is sad
icon_sad.gif

what about Caribbean or poland or Hungarian medical schools?
do you think they worth it?
(i'm currently doing my clerkships in medical program that about 3 years and 2 years return of service is left till finishing, i thought maybe if i transfer to 3rd year there i can finnish in 2 year and apply for residency)
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when do you need 3 years US undergrad, most places just say a year for internationals applying to US schools.

Since when do you need 3 years US undergrad, most places just say a year for internationals applying to US schools.

That is assuming the OP has an undergraduate degree.

It sounds like to me (and probably to aPD) that he/she went straight from HS into medical school, took no pre-reqs and doesn't have any undergraduate education which is a requirement for US medical schools.

Otherwise you are correct, most US medical schools require at least 90 units of undergrad, 1 year of which has to be in a US institution.

Ah.

I guess I tend to assume everyone has an undergrad degree, not really sure why.

283 USMLE to transfer ...that is definitely over exaggerated ....I have seen students transfer with very very less score than that. In facts most medical school just require greater than 200 on USMLE for those accepting transfer...and 283 for just a transfer is nonsense. If you get 283 on USMLE, why transfer? complete your medical education and apply to competitive residencies .....even US MED student struggle scoring that high on USMLE...they look at you broadly , USMLE, and MED school grades are focused on heavily...your involvements as well. IF you score that high...no need to transfer

Uhmmm...I think aPD was being overly dramatic for effect.

Clearly people transfer with lower scores and schools will accept lower scores, but it is BEST to have the highest USMLE score you can get. The reason for transfer even with a 283? Because you will still have the stigmata, for the rest of your career, of being an FMG. No one gives a flying **** about your Step 1 score once you've gotten into residency, but (for those who care), people always ask where you went to school.