Transfering after 1st or 2nd year dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to a different dental school after 1st year, or even 2nd year? Do all school's consider this? do they just look at your GPA, etc. from dental school or DAT as well? Has anyone done this or know much about this?

Members don't see this ad.

i could find much on this toppic here...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean i COULDN'T find much on this topic here....

transferring is very, very uncommon. There must be extentuating circumstances and a fortuitous alignment of the stars for this to work. You can pretty much plan on being in the same program for the full 4 years.

docs said:
I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to a different dental school after 1st year, or even 2nd year? Do all school's consider this? do they just look at your GPA, etc. from dental school or DAT as well? Has anyone done this or know much about this?

Transferring is very difficult, as the curriculums are not standard between schools. ie some schools take pre-clinical operative beginning 1st year, while others take preclinical pros and start operative 2nd year.

Your best bet in transferring and not losing time by repeating a year is to transfer after 2nd year when you have your part I board scores. Most schools will accept transfer students, but not if they are struggling or have performed poorly on boards. Private dental schools generally seem more willing and accomodating as they need your money to replace students who have dropped out. I personally transfered and know of a handful of other students who transfered. I had good board scores, dental grades, undergrad grades and DATS. My new school told me I was one of only a handful of people they had ever let transfer to their program. The dean at the program you inquire into will definately call your current school to ask about potential ethical problems or misconduct problems on your record. Be sure you want to transfer as your current school will definately hear about it. Also, don't bad-mouth your current program (I know this is common sense).

Very carefully consider the possible implications of transfering. You will be entering a new class at a social and academic disadvantage and will be an outsider, at least initially, among your peers. If you are considering specializing, it will effect your class ranking and will be something you will have to justify and explain to speciality programs.

Everything worked out for me in the end but it was a difficult transition and a real pain in the butt when applying for post-grad programs.

where did you transfer from and to which school? what was your reason?