Transfering med schools for 3rd and 4th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baloo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever transferred to another med school for 3rd and 4th year because of a "compassionate circumstance?" I'm looking to transfer to Univ of Minn to be with my wife. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i thought transferring because of a significant other or spouse was one of the most common reasons for transferring. However, most of the time, you will transfer between schools of similar rank or even more likely, to a school of lesser rank. Between 3rd and 4th years should not be too difficult, although your dean may suggest to you that it is only a year, you can stick it out, etc. Because it is a big pain in the ass. Good luck.

I don't know anyone who has pulled an M3/4 transfer off, nor have I seen an SDN post about a successful one. Most people here will tell you that it is nearly impossible.

As far as compassion is concerned, you're facing an uphill battle, but it might be doable given your circumstance.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe he OP is saying a transfer following MSII to finish MSIII and MSIV at another school.

I had friends who did this.

In fact although transfers in med school are a rare event I would say this circumstance is the most common for sucessful transfers.

Has anyone ever transferred to another med school for 3rd and 4th year because of a "compassionate circumstance?" I'm looking to transfer to Univ of Minn to be with my wife. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

Talk to the dean at that school. This happens much more often than you think. Best time is obviously after second year and USMLE step 1. And Wiz, the people who tend to do this aren't really ones who post on SDN, given that they're too busy with their SO's :laugh:

I know of 2 people who transferred for the reasons you've given so it's definitely doable. Talk to the dean at your school and at the deat at the school you want to trasfer to. My guess is that you'd need to fill out an application and get a couple of letters at the school that you currently attend that states you're a good student, in good standing, yadda, yadda, yadda. :luck: :luck:

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and well wishes...

do you think it's really a good idea to talk to the dean at that school that you want to transfer to?

Is that advantageous, because I'm not really sure he's going to say anything different other than, " try and apply."

thanks.

do you think it's really a good idea to talk to the dean at that school that you want to transfer to?

Is that advantageous, because I'm not really sure he's going to say anything different other than, " try and apply."

thanks.

the dean has a lot of influence in these issues, and actually it's pretty much at their discretion whether the transfer goes through. and by 'dean' i mean the same dean that writes the "dean's letter"/MSPE... don't go for the administrative dean or the dean for research, etc.

We had two transfers into my school because they were married to classmates. both were definitely transfers "up" in the rankings although both were US allopathic students. both have proven to be very competent, good students. i think if they had red flags (like failing a class) and had been from the schools they were, I don't think they could have transferred.

sweet. yeah i hope it works out, its stressful having to deal with this and school.