Transfering to University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on the school's website that one can transfer to this school after P1, and no PCAT is necessary if my previous school did not require a PCAT. So I am wondering, what classes do students there take during the P1 year? I have found a catalog of classes, but I can't tell what year the classes are taken during. Does it not make any difference when they're taken as long as they're taken?

I will be taking:
Biochemistry
Physiology (I and II)
Molecular biology
Immunology
Clinical Pharmacy Skills
Possibly a couple research credits

I've already taken biostatistics and an experimental design course (I saw one was required in the program). My only problem is that we here have a 4-credit physics course. Does this mean that I'll have to take another 4 credits before being considered for the program?

Also, for whoever goes there, is the school worthy of transfering into?

Members don't see this ad.

So you're already in pharmacy school and wanting to transfer to a different pharmacy school? Some schools will allow you to transfer but its very uncommon, there are lots of differences between curriculums at various schools so it is complicated to transfer credits usually.

So you're already in pharmacy school and wanting to transfer to a different pharmacy school? Some schools will allow you to transfer but its very uncommon, there are lots of differences between curriculums at various schools so it is complicated to transfer credits usually.

Yeah I looked at the site and they said they allow transfers. I can't tell how different the curricula are because the school doesn't list its classes by year, at least from what I could find. I did find a lot of similarities, however (though obviously the two curricula aren't exactly the same).

Members don't see this ad :)
At our school, the classes from the previous year are prerequisites for the next years classes (ie PY1 classes are required for PY2 classes) so they wouldn't allow you to take a class unless you had the prerequisite, which if you're transferring would likely be out of order. Your best bet would be to talk to the school directly and show them your transcript and ask what will count and if its possible to transfer. Also, I think that your current schools dean will have to sign off on a transfer, so you might need to talk to the dean before you go planning too far.

my class had one transfer after our first year. She took all of the 2nd year classes and the parts of (not always the entire) 1st year classes that hadn't had a direct equivalent at her old school.