Transfering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amayer24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone transfered from an osteopahic to an allopathic school, or know someone who did? Please let me know from which school and into which school? How hard was it to transfer? Reasons for transfering?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi amayer24:

Welcome to SDN! I would recommend that you search the posts using the search function. I know that there are a couple of posts to this discussion board about this topic. Use some keywords that will have what you are looking and you will see that discussions with that topic have been posted before. Good Luck! AJC :D

Transferring from one allopathic medical school to another is difficult and uncommon, and usually only into the 3d year class. Many schools do not accept transfers at all. Transferring from an osteopathic school I would guess is more unlikely.

If you have not started osteopathic school yet, your best bet might be not to at all, work on improving your credentials, then apply to allopathic schools or even consider going abroad.

Your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are unsure of whether or not you want to be a D.O., perhaps you should look at some other options. I don't think you should attend NYCOM if all you really want is a MD from a US School. My opinion would be different if you were currently a medical student and had some important reason to transfer. If you have an important reason now, maybe you should wait and apply again for next year.

Why would you ask people what their reasons were for transferring? Is it because you want to know which reasons have worked before?! I'm sure that there is a student on the waitlist at NYCOM who would be happy to take your spot. If you are trying to get out before you have even started, I think you will probably be very unhappy at NYCOM.

To answer your question, yes, it has been done before. However, it is very difficult to transfer from M.D. to D.O. or D.O. to M.D.
See this thread:

Transfers

P.S. Did you ask the interviewers at NYCOM about the feasibility and success rates for transfer to M.D. school? :rolleyes:

Thank you all who replied.

If anyone else has any other information, I would appreciate if you can share it with me.

Alex