Transferred after PGY1 year, can I fast track into C&A? ABPN rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshoji786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Currently a PGY3 applying to child fellowship, hoping to fast track. I had to transfer in my PGY 2 year due to family reasons. I was in good standing with my program where I did my intern year and my current program as well. I am currently in good standing and completing my PGY3 year in the program I transferred to.

Is there a rule in ABPN guidelines that indicate that I would have to repeat an extra year or not be eligible to do fast track for C&A fellowship? I thought you just have to make sure last 2 years are in the same program?

I would appreciate it if someone, perhaps a PD, would know more about this?

this is all I could find the website:

"To ensure continuity of training, the Board requires that two of the three years of residency training, excluding the PGY-1, be spent in a single program. The 36 months of full-time specialized residency training must be completed in no more than two blocks. If completed in two blocks, the blocks must not be more than ten years apart. In addition, credit is not given for less than one-year blocks of training (including the PGY-1). The ABPN Credentials Committee considers exceptions to these rules only under extraordinary circumstances. In such cases, respective program directors should contact the Board office, in writing, prior to the transfer. The letters must outline the resident’s training content, duties, and responsibilities, including exact dates (from month/day/year to month/day/year) of training, and indicate clearly that the resident will satisfy all ACGME program requirements. Each case is considered on an individual basis."

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you can fasttrack into child residency. people do it all the time

In my scenario, would I still be able to fast track? I'm just hoping that I won't have to end up spending an extra year due to some extra clause?

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be fine if your new program agrees that you met all of the required adult rotations.

There are some programs that don’t allow fast-tracking and others that could say that the 2 programs have a different rotational set-up. If you are missing required adult rotations, I don’t think you can fast-track.

There is the two year rule that you found. The operative question is whether the two years can be PGY4 and 5. The best way to handle this is by communicating with ABPN. It should be you along with your PD (and I would get it in writing). I have heard rumors that they decided that 4 and 5 would count but you should not make a life altering decision based on rumors.

There is also the 12 months of continuous outpatient clause. I think you probably will have the 12 months by the end of this year. I had someone leave to a different program after 2 years and he fast-tracked into a third program and got stuck on this rule. He wanted me to adjust his credit, but besides the ethical argument, I could only give him 24 months credit and adding more outpatient time would have taken away some other requirement anyway.

There is also the 12 months of continuous outpatient clause. I think you probably will have the 12 months by the end of this year. I had someone leave to a different program after 2 years and he fast-tracked into a third program and got stuck on this rule. He wanted me to adjust his credit, but besides the ethical argument, I could only give him 24 months credit and adding more outpatient time would have taken away some other requirement anyway.

Why would he be asking you to adjust for anything? 3rd year is generally where outpatient takes place so the program where he transferred to should be providing that after he finishes a year.

It should be fine if your new program agrees that you met all of the required adult rotations.

There are some programs that don’t allow fast-tracking and others that could say that the 2 programs have a different rotational set-up. If you are missing required adult rotations, I don’t think you can fast-track.

Nope, I've met all required rotations for the first 2 years (Neuro, inpatient, C&L etc). I'm only doing my outpatient year now.

Why would he be asking you to adjust for anything? 3rd year is generally where outpatient takes place so the program where he transferred to should be providing that after he finishes a year.
Not all programs are 100% outpatient in the PGY-III year.

Reactions: 1 user