Transferring after 2nd Year to NYC school (from top 20 program) -- help?

confusednontrad

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi --

I am wondering if anyone has experience or knows anything about transferring to a NYC med school after MS-II?

Currently I am finishing up MS-I at a top 20 med school. My wife is definitely moving to NYC for work this year and I'd like to follow her ASAP.

From the information I gathered online, the only school that accepts transfers in the NYC area is SUNY Downstate. Anybody know about the other schools? Any tips on this process?

Thanks.

May 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
How far is your current school from NYC? I think it would make a more convincing case if the school is in west coast since this will make frequent rendezvous with your wife much more difficult and expensive. I don't know too much about the whole transfer process, but I do know that you need support from the deans at your current and prospective schools...

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
To transfer: You need to be in good standing in your present school; meet the transfer requirements of the school that you anticipate transferring into; have the support of the administration of both schools and there is a position for you at the school that you want to transfer into.

In addition, you need a good reason for the transfer. Home being split is a pretty good reason but you need to start making the case and letting your administration know so that they can smooth the way for you.

confusednontrad

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses so far.

Does anybody know if you can transfer to other NYC schools than SUNY, such as Cornell or NYU?

Has anyone successfully transferred to a program whose policy is officially no transfers?

MediumDef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses so far.

Does anybody know if you can transfer to other NYC schools than SUNY, such as Cornell or NYU?

Has anyone successfully transferred to a program whose policy is officially no transfers?
I'm pretty sure this info is usually available on the website, Cornell's FAQ for instance says that they accept transfers. Other option is just call the admissions office, seems easier than waiting for someone here to get back to you and less hearsay.

Other thing to consider is the curriculum. Columbia and NYU are undergoing curriculum changes that may make it infeasible for someone to transfer into the school at what would traditionally the start of the clinical year

Ravendown

7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
but those changes to their schools [nyu/columbia/and downstate] won't happen for at least another 1-2 years. I'll pray for you.

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi --

I am wondering if anyone has experience or knows anything about transferring to a NYC med school after MS-II?

Currently I am finishing up MS-I at a top 20 med school. My wife is definitely moving to NYC for work this year and I'd like to follow her ASAP.

From the information I gathered online, the only school that accepts transfers in the NYC area is SUNY Downstate. Anybody know about the other schools? Any tips on this process?

Thanks.
you might not just want to focus on NYC schools, but they are difficult to get into. Try schools in New Jersey, Connecticut, and possibley Philadelphia, good luck

StIGMA

Doctor Professor
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
but those changes to their schools [nyu/columbia/and downstate] won't happen for at least another 1-2 years. I'll pray for you.
Columbia's changes are already in effect. Major clinical year for the current first year class begins in January 2011 (9 months from now).

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nyu curriculum will be very different for class of 2014 --> 1.5 year basic science and 2.5 year clinicals

confusednontrad

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Just wondering: has anyone reading this actually transferred into a NYC school? Any advice regarding the programs? Thanks