Quantcast

Transferring as a 4th year TO an offshore school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

transfer-ready

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a medical student at a prestegious US medical school and ran into some personal difficulties which resulted in my eventual dismissal. Nevertheless, I have the full support (letter of recommendation) from the institution's Dean of Students, three years of credit, and a passing USMLE Step I score. Unfortunately, I believe, most US schools will not allow me to transfer into their program, but I've been told that I wouldn't have much difficulty transferring into a Caribbean school. I'm interested in asking advice from anyone who either has been through a similar experience or has knowledge of such events.

Thanks

neurodoc

Neurologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What, exactly, were these "difficulties" that required dismissal? I can imagine two sorts of "difficulties:" 1) things that were not your fault and would not reflect badly on your own character, and, 2) things that were and do...

An example of #1 would be that your parents went bankrupt and could no longer support you in school. An example of #2 would be that you were arrested and convicted for sexually abusing little girls or boys... I suppose there are other possibilities, such as suffering some sort of mental breakdown, which would not exactly be your fault, but which might present problems with your continuing your medical education.