Transferring from a medical college in India to a medical college in US

Discussion in 'India and South Asia' started by schmartdoc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. schmartdoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a U.S. citizen and have an undergraduate degree. I have MCAT score of 28. I came to India because I couldn't get admission in US and I really wanted to become a doctor. I came to India because my relatives (from my father's side) live here and they are supposedly very close to my father as long as they get money and other items from him. First my uncle (my father's brother) insisted I live with him and his family (one wife, two daughters, and a son) though they live hour and half away from the medical college I was suppose to go. My aunt (uncle's wife) started taunting me and her children (my cousins) started ridiculing me for everything. On the top of it I got sick with diarrihea and vomiting plus strep throat. Although my mother was with me she couldn't do anything for me because my aunt is very territorial and my mother is a pushover. My aunt made us leave her house then we went to my other aunt (my father's sister). My mother didn't like their behavior so she found a dorm for me and left for US within 15 days. But there was no mess in the hostel and water and power used be off for 3 days at a time. I became so sick that I needed hospitalization and even after I got ok I used to have diarrhea as soon as I ate outside food and yes there was no other choice. My father told me to go to my aunt's because he is the one who bought the apt. for her. She and her children were verbally abusing me and finally kicked me out of the apt. My mother decided to come back and rent an apt and now we are living in that but my father was visiting us last month and aunt would come every single day that made me agitated. This makes me feel like going back to US. I would like to transfer to US but I don't know how. The reason I have written my whole life story so that you will understand how bad it is. Please help.

2. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry that you are having such health problems over there, plus it seems a lot of family problems.

I don't think there is any way you can "transfer in" to a US medical school. However, I see no reason why you cannot apply to a US medical school. You would have to go through the same applications process as other students, and apply as a first year student. If you have only been at the med school in India for one semester, I don't see a reason why you can't withdraw and then return to the US for while, probably get a job and then apply to US medical schools next summer.

An alternative would be try to transfer to one of those Caribbean medical schools (assuming you want to practice in the US later) but I really would avoid that until you've tried at least once to get into US schools. A lot of those Caribbean medical schools have a high dropout rate, low passing rate on US medical licensing exam (which is REQUIRED to do any residency in the US) and generally don't provide the kind of education you would want. Two or three of them are better (St George on Grenada, probably Ross and SABA, maybe one or two others) but still you would find it a lot harder to get the residency you want than a comparable US student. There are also med schools in places like Ireland and Australia that take US students, but again it makes it a bit harder to get US residencies.

There's no shame in having made a mistake and learning from it. If you feel like you could like the Indian medical school if things got more peaceful where you are, and feel that your medical situation has resolved, you could consider sticking it out there, but if you feel like schooling in the US is what you want, then I don't think I'd waste any more time there, because I don't think your schooling/credits are going to be transferable. You don't say whether you have a college degree already from the US, whether you ever took the MCAT, and whether you did things like volunteering in a US hospital that would be something to put on your med school application.

3. schmartdoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes I do have a degree from US in Biochemistry and I have score of 28 in MCAT and yes I have volunteered in hopitals and docto's offices. I have spent a year and a half in India and finished first professional. :laugh: