Transferring from Community College to Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a topic about community college and its advantages/disadvantages and was just wondering if I decide to go to a Community College, and then TRANSFER to a 4 year after 2 years at the community college, finish the next two years at a 4 year.. than go to pharmacy school.. is that a way to do it?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I posted a topic about community college and its advantages/disadvantages and was just wondering if I decide to go to a Community College, and then TRANSFER to a 4 year after 2 years at the community college, finish the next two years at a 4 year.. than go to pharmacy school.. is that a way to do it?
Thanks

It's A way. Doesn't have to be THE way. It is the path I took. Got my AS in Chemistry, AS in Biology, and then BS in Biochem. Since having a BS kind of makes the AS's pointless I don't know if you'd want to get the AS unless all the classes were required for the four-year anyway.

Would getting a BS in Chemistry take care of most of the pre-reqs? Can I major in Chemistry and apply for pharmacy school after I graduate? Would it take care of all the pre-reqs?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Would getting a BS in Chemistry take care of most of the pre-reqs? Can I major in Chemistry and apply for pharmacy school after I graduate? Would it take care of all the pre-reqs?
Thanks

sure, most pre-reqs are in Chemistry BS
just depends on the school you're at and the school of pharmacy you're gonna apply to

Thanks

Sure it is! I didn't read your other thread...but you seem to have worries. Why?

Sure it is! I didn't read your other thread...but you seem to have worries. Why?
I go to an acedemicaly compectitive high school, and I am worried because my grades could be alot better somewhere else, and it is only a 3.0. I really have an intrerest in getting my Pharm. D. and becoming a Pharmacist, so I just wanted to make sure I would beable to go to CC, and still get into a pharmacy school.

Thanks

The only class that isn't a prereq for my Biochem degree is A/P. Everything else, including BIO200/201, GChem, OChem, Biochem, Molecular Bio, Micro Bio (Ok this was a stretch, it goes to my Bio minor), Physics, Calc. All of them required for BS. Not to mention the non-science classes which fill the GE requirements. I'd say most people who don't major in chemistry major in another science with similar requirements. (Biomedical sciences, Biology, Biochem, Chemistry, Premed, etc.) (Then throw in the oddballs:rolleyes: with Finance, Accounting, Business :smuggrin: )

I go to an acedemicaly compectitive high school, and I am worried because my grades could be alot better somewhere else, and it is only a 3.0. I really have an intrerest in getting my Pharm. D. and becoming a Pharmacist, so I just wanted to make sure I would beable to go to CC, and still get into a pharmacy school.

If you go in straight from high school into a 0-6 program, then worrying about the 3.0 may be warranted depending on what type of classes you took. From CC though there's no reason to worry as long as you can keep your GPA up and do well on the PCAT. Some schools require upper division classes as prereqs, but this is less common. That means that you could essentially go from CC to PharmD without going to 4-year. Having said that, if you scan through a lot of the posts with the same concern, you'll notice the trend appears to be heading toward BA/BS's for most applicants. That means, while you could technically finish most/all of your classes at CC, it may require that you get a four-year degree anyway just to be competitive.

Has anyone heard of schools of pharmacy not accepting someone who went to community college for their pre-requisites? I have a B.A. in Health Science and Policy/Health Administration. I am pursuing my classes at a community college because of the cost and distance from my house, but I don't want this to ruin my chance of entrance into pharmacy school. Any advice?

As long as the school you did your pre-reqs is accredited, I don't see a school not accepting the credits solely because they came from a community college. There are plenty of people here who have taken their pre-reqs at community colleges and been accepted into pharmacy school.

I have seen a *few* schools that specify certain classes must be university level (I think microbiology, anatomy), but not very often. Just make sure you're fulfilling the prerequisites of the programs you want to apply to; the schools should make it very clear if they require a class to be taken at a 4-year college.

I have seen a *few* schools that specify certain classes must be university level (I think microbiology, anatomy), but not very often. Just make sure you're fulfilling the prerequisites of the programs you want to apply to; the schools should make it very clear if they require a class to be taken at a 4-year college.

Are you saying community college courses aren't at a "university" level? I have a friend that goes to a state university, ASU, and I learned more at my community college than he did. Got a better grade too. If you are saying that there are certain schools that require them to be taken at a "university", what are they?

Members don't see this ad :)
They will only give you guff if they are stupid. The lower level classes you take as pre-reqs for pharmacy school can be taught at a high level in community colleges or larger universities. We're just talking about teaching basic concepts, not working on a PhD in Pharmacology.

But that's just me.

It's pretty much unheard of for a school to reject credits from an accredited CC. Besides that there is data showing performance in a PharmD program is not enhanced by attending a four-year university. I posted a link to the study in a thread a while ago (I think it was about a BS being required for admission. The study also looked at where the students took their O-chem class.).

I may have read the same or similar study. When I was taking courses at a University, my professor taught the same classes at a community college. Now that I am taking courses at community college, one of my professors is from a university.

Also, a professor at my old university said my chem teacher was one of the best in the state. So they are the same basically. I think that community college professors like the more laid back atmosphere, smaller classes, etc. A lot of university courses are taught by student teachers as well....

Once you get the pharmacy degree, no one cares what grades you got as pre-pharm or where you took classes.

Are you saying community college courses aren't at a "university" level? I have a friend that goes to a state university, ASU, and I learned more at my community college than he did. Got a better grade too. If you are saying that there are certain schools that require them to be taken at a "university", what are they?

I am not saying that cc classes are "easier" or "less valid" or whatever than university classes. I'm just saying that I remember when looking at pre-req's that I've seen, rarely, a program that requires a class be taken at a 4-year university and will not accept classes at a 2-year community college. Don't be defensive.. I understand that some cc classes are way harder than the university level ones. I am not the one who determines prerequisites.. I was just answering the OP's question.

I have looked at pre-reqs for probably every school in the nation in the last year and can't remember everything so I don't have all the specifics but here's one I found quick: Oregon State University: "Upper division Microbiology with lab must also be taken at a four year school." http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schooloregonstatepage.htm

Last edited:
I am not saying that cc classes are "easier" or "less valid" or whatever than university classes. I'm just saying that I remember when looking at pre-req's that I've seen, rarely, a program that requires a class be taken at a 4-year university and will not accept classes at a 2-year community college. Don't be defensive.. I understand that some cc classes are way harder than the university level ones. I am not the one who determines prerequisites.. I was just answering the OP's question.

I have looked at pre-reqs for probably every school in the nation in the last year and can't remember everything so I don't have all the specifics but here's one I found quick: Oregon State University: "Upper division Microbiology with lab must also be taken at a four year school." http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schooloregonstatepage.htm

Yeah, I applied there. They don't take CC microbiology. Basically it means it must be 300 level or higher, which a community college can not offer, at least not in California. It would be extremely odd to see a 300 level class at a CC anywhere, but I won't pretend to know what every state does.

I'm taking genetics(bio 290) at a CC and it transfers directly into univ of WA as Bio 371

I took organic 2 and immunology at a CC and all the schools I applied to took it without question

Has anyone heard of schools of pharmacy not accepting someone who went to community college for their pre-requisites? I have a B.A. in Health Science and Policy/Health Administration. I am pursuing my classes at a community college because of the cost and distance from my house, but I don't want this to ruin my chance of entrance into pharmacy school. Any advice?

I have heard of applicants being accepted into CA pharmacy schools coming from a JC. But I've also heard that coming from a JC, you only have a 1% chance (heard from UCSF). You should check with the schools to find out what extra courses you need to take - there's a guy I know who completed all the pre-reqs but because he's only been to a JC, the schools wanted him to take a few additional courses. So just call up the admission offices and double check before you start applying for schools you don't meet requirements for.

I currently attend Santa Monica College and am very interested in pursuing Pharmacy. I have spoken with my counselor, but she was not very helpful so i hope you guys can help me out!
I was told that i can transfer and get a bachelor's degree in anything i wanted and then apply to Pharmacy schools. Is this correct? and if so is it smarter to get a degree in some kind of science ( if it helps being accepted in any way?) or if it does not matter? when i first started college i wanted to major in Business or Econ. so i took all those pre-req's so it would suck if i had none of those counted, im only a few classes from being able to transfer as well!

Im really confused, help? :hardy:

I'm sure you can find answers to your questions from a forum search.

I transferred from a community college to UC Berkeley so maybe I can help you. What I should have done before transferring is look at the websites of the pharmacy schools I wanted to attend, and find out the academic requirements. I didn't do this, and thought a chemistry major would be best. About a year and a half into UC Berkeley I started to look at the academic requirements of pharmacy schools and realized I hadn't taken many of them. Then I had to stay a whole extra year just doing pharmacy pre-requisites. So in answer to your question, you can do any major you want. However, you have to finish all of the academic pre-requisites regardless of your major. Start visiting school websites to see what they are. UCSF, and UCSD they have the least requirements in CA:p

Help yourself by doing your own research on your pharmacy schools of interest.

A word of advice: direct all of your questions / confusions / verifications / frustrations to the school you want to get into. They are the ones who come up with the requirements, interview, and accept the candidates. They know their stuff better than any of us. They make the rules, you play their game.

so i took all those pre-req's so it would suck if i had none of those counted, im only a few classes from being able to transfer as well! Yeah, so???

Help yourself by doing your own research on your pharmacy schools of interest.

A word of advice: direct all of your questions / confusions / verifications / frustrations to the school you want to get into. They are the ones who come up with the requirements, interview, and accept the candidates. They know their stuff better than any of us. They make the rules, you play their game.

kbv, i bet you suck to hang out with.

i completely agree with u.....im not too far away from you nacia, im attending pierce college and thinking about transfering from a cc to a pharm school too.....i agree with a chem major, not because its challenging but because it fulfills all pre-reqs for ur major and pharm school......its something business could never do but ive talked with pharm schools and every1 says its the gpa that counts. keep up the gpa and transfer with confidence.........if u can keep up ur gpa in a competitive school like ucla, go for it, if not then just do what i do and try to transfer to a crappy 4 year that offers a chem major, get ur BS not BA and transfer with a high gpa.

It seems the OP is asking two separate questions.
1. Is it normal to transfer to 4year & get a degree to get into pharmacy?
2. If so, what major do pharmacy schools prefer if there is a preferred degree?

Answer to number 1: It depends. Where is Santa Monica College? If it's Santa Monica, CA, then yes that would be the normal route as most, if not all, California schools have a high percentage of degree holders in their acceptance pool (usually over 80%). Also where do you plan to apply. If you don't plan on applying to CA schools then you may be able to get in without a degree and then transfering out of CC may not be necessary. Some schools still take applicants who have done the bare minimum (pre-reqs only).

Answer to question 2: There's no real preferred degree. We have Psych, economics, and other non-natural science majors in my class. They're the minority, but it's primarily due to the efficiency more so than preference. Since Biology, Chemistry, and other natural/physical sciences degrees meet more of the Pharm School prereqs, a majority of pharmacy students will have those types of degrees. But I that doesn't mean you can't do business and then finish prereqs to apply. Besides, it'd make a dual degree easier if you went that route.

My 2 cents is, if you pursue a bachlors pursue something you enjoy. Your grades reflect your interest in a subject. Don't just do chemistry because you think it would look better. If you are passionate about anthropology study that you gpa would reflect it.

It seems the OP is asking two separate questions.
1. Is it normal to transfer to 4year & get a degree to get into pharmacy?
2. If so, what major do pharmacy schools prefer if there is a preferred degree?

Answer to number 1: It depends. Where is Santa Monica College? If it's Santa Monica, CA, then yes that would be the normal route as most, if not all, California schools have a high percentage of degree holders in their acceptance pool (usually over 80%). Also where do you plan to apply. If you don't plan on applying to CA schools then you may be able to get in without a degree and then transfering out of CC may not be necessary. Some schools still take applicants who have done the bare minimum (pre-reqs only).

Answer to question 2: There's no real preferred degree. We have Psych, economics, and other non-natural science majors in my class. They're the minority, but it's primarily due to the efficiency more so than preference. Since Biology, Chemistry, and other natural/physical sciences degrees meet more of the Pharm School prereqs, a majority of pharmacy students will have those types of degrees. But I that doesn't mean you can't do business and then finish prereqs to apply. Besides, it'd make a dual degree easier if you went that route.

true, buconsider the fact that pre-reqs for pharm school is around 90 units. through a business major ull finish 30 of them and have an extra left after u graduate.this would definately set u back, asking me i would check the pre-reqs and chose a major based on that. lifes tough and people gotta do what they hate. its not going to be easy the whole way.....plus comparing business, chem and the pre-req majors u have to take all chems, anatomy, physio, biochem and microbio already.......saave urself the time

thanks for your reply's everyone! i guess i just have to sit down and figure out what would be best for me.

thanks again!

edited

Last edited:
will pharmacy schools look down on pharm pre-reqs taken at a community college?

do students from 4 year schools have a significantly higher chance of being admitted into pharmacy schools than those who are from community colleges?

does it take longer to get your pharm pre-reqs done at a community college or a 4 year school?
[if it depends, please tell me what it depends on]

please help me and tell me what I need to know. UC`s are expensive and cali community colleges are nurturing, but I really want to get into pharmacy school as fast as I can. I am applying to schools with pre-pharmacy programs, but I am not sure I can get into any, so I need to know what the next best alternative is. imo, the fastest route is the best route.

do students from 4 year schools have a significantly higher chance of being admitted into pharmacy schools than those who are from community colleges?

does it take longer to get your pharm pre-reqs done at a community college or a 4 year school?

please help me and tell me what I need to know. UC`s are expensive and cali community colleges are nurturing, but I really want to get into pharmacy school as fast as I can. I am applying to schools with pre-pharmacy programs, but I am not sure I can get into any, so I need to know what the next best alternative is. imo, the fastest route is the best route.
They do not look down on cc/jc credits. many people have even went straight from a cc to pharmd school. Slow down, live life, take a breath. This is not life or death stuff.

The main thing it depends on is the school. For instance, most of my prereqs for USC were done at the CC level. Now I did get in off waitlist, so I'm not sure what affect CC units played in that decision, but I'd say it's small compared to the other factors that would have weighed more heavily (no pharm experience probably being more of a concern.) You'll be hard pressed to get into a CA school straight from community college. USC won't take you without a BA/BS unless you are coming from TAP and that's likely to change as well. Since I had to come in with a 4-year degree, it shows I can manage on the higher level expected in upper-division college courses, therefore making my CC units less of a factor in terms of them having to wonder if it was easier, or if I was just that good.(Don't read anything into that statement:oops:)
As for other things to consider. Oregon State won't take lower division Microbiology, meaning you CAN'T take it at CC as there's no such thing as upper division CC courses (at least not in CA).
I'm not sure if the % of students with BA/BS is reported, but it's probably a good clue if you want to see if you can get in just with CC credits. If the percentage is in the 90's unlikely. If it's 50's you'll probably have a shot if your grades/ECs are decent.
Other than that you'd probably have to call the individual school to see if there are a lot of students admitted with CC credits or some other way of guaging bias against CC courses.

if we have more than 70 credits at a community college, which courses will they transfer if the maximum credit transfer is 60?

I transferred 140 credits from a CC to a regular college. I would have had more but some of the lower math classes I took didn't transfer for any credit.

I would definitely email or call the school and ask. When I am done with all of the pre-reqs I am applying to every school in TX (trying to stay in-state if I can) and I know that one of them does not accept more than 66 hours of community college credit hours. I don't want to take any courses over when I don't have too...

if we have more than 70 credits at a community college, which courses will they transfer if the maximum credit transfer is 60?

You have to ask the university you want to attend.
It's all depend on the school you want to go to.

Excuse me but I'm not sure what the question it is that you are asking. Are you talking about pre-professional/ pre-pharmacy?

Generally, if you are enrolled in a pharmacy college... your going to be taking their curriculum even if you have taken some of their courses already. Every course is structured differently, what works for one school doesn't work for another.

The question was , if you have 70 CC credit hours and you transfer to a 4 year institute that only excepts 60 CC credit hours. How are the classes that transfer chosen to stay in the 60 credit hour limit.

The question was , if you have 70 CC credit hours and you transfer to a 4 year institute that only excepts 60 CC credit hours. How are the classes that transfer chosen to stay in the 60 credit hour limit.

Hm, guess the title should be changed in this post then "community college credit transfer to pharmacy." It gives the impression that you are transferring credits into the pharm.d curriculum.

As for the credit hour transfer limit. I think if you transfer to a state school, they will take all your credits but in order to get a BA or BS, you need to take atleast 60 credit hours or so at their institution. Believe me, I was thinking about getting a 4-year degree but decided against it for time/monetary reasons. After this next semester, I will have in excess of 140 credit hours.

hi, when you transfer credits from community college back to the university, the unversity only take the course credits, but it does not calculate the grade of the course into your university gpa. so my questions are

when you apply for pharmacy schools, do they calculate your community college pre requisites course into your gpa ?

Most pharmacy school requirment the units has to be 4 units in a quarter system, but its only 3 units in a community college, but my school muliplty it by 1.5 which is 4.5 after transfered back to the unveristy. does the pharmacy school look at the orginial credit or the credit after transferred to the univesity.

Im not sure if I'm correctly following your logic, but did you not also send in transcripts from the CC and the University? Or did you just transfer credits from a CC to a University and just submitted the University transcript? When submitting transcripts to a Pharmacy school, you're suppose to submit both from the university and the community college.

As far as grade calculations, I really think it depends on the pharmacy school. In my school, they accept grades from CC and University and only take the highest grade in their calculations. So from them, it doesn't matter if the courses were taken at different schools because they take the highest letter grade, but you of course need to back that up with the transcripts. If they calculate your grades separately based on credits, then I would still assume they would take the highest grade, unless they give preference to university grades vs. community college grades.

well right now, I'm a freshman at a University. I took psychology over the summer and my credits have been transferred to my university. However psychology at that community college is only 3 credits, ( pharmacy schools required 4 units) For whatever reason, my university changed the 3 units into 4.5 units, so it would meet my university requirement. Do i have to send in my transcript seperately? the psychology course is already on my university transcript though. and would it be wise to take classes such as english 2, speech, eco, at a community college? or i should take all pre quisites at my university.

well right now, I'm a freshman at a University. I took psychology over the summer and my credits have been transferred to my university. However psychology at that community college is only 3 credits, ( pharmacy schools required 4 units) For whatever reason, my university changed the 3 units into 4.5 units, so it would meet my university requirement. Do i have to send in my transcript seperately? the psychology course is already on my university transcript though. and would it be wise to take classes such as english 2, speech, eco, at a community college? or i should take all pre quisites at my university.

hmmm, that's something you probably want to contact the pharmacy school regarding this credit unit on which one they will take: 3 from CC or the 4.5 from university.

But, yes, you still have to send in both transcripts because it's required to list all your education. There have been mix ups where someone were denied into the school due to "shady" transcripts (i.e. not sending in all transcripts from all the schools you've attended).

As far as taking those classes at a community college, yes, i would definately. They're lower level classes that is pretty much the same material (albeit teaching styles may be different from the professors) compared to university. Its more cost efficient to take courses at a community college. I started at a university straight from high school and wished i did my first 2 years at a community college because i didn't realize that lower level classes were basic materials across the board. But i stuck to it at the university and ended up with my B.S. before applying to pharm school.

And for the classes, just make sure they're transferable and equivalent to the pharmacy pre-reqs required by the pharmacy school (i.e. it would suck if you took an intro to bio class like Bio 090 that wouldn't transfer over when they prefer you to take Bio 101 instead). So contact them or go on their websites before you start registering classes to make sure they're going to be equivalent. I hope that helps.