Transferring from Community College to Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you apply to pharmacy school you have to send them a transcript from every school you attended, regardless if you got the credit transferred or not. You can take the pre-reqs wherever you want, it doesn't have to be a uni.

Edit: Didn't see your post PharmPrincess. So you get the same info twice. Her info is much better!

Members don't see this ad.

hello, when you submit the transcript to the pharmacy school, do they count the 3.0 credits i receieved at a communty college over the summer? after transferring the course from the community college, it changed from 3.0 to 4.5 units. so is it 3.0 or 4.5 units???

hello, when you submit the transcript to the pharmacy school, do they count the 3.0 credits i receieved at a communty college over the summer? after transferring the course from the community college, it changed from 3.0 to 4.5 units. so is it 3.0 or 4.5 units???

Your post makes no sense. Contrary to your imagination your transcript isn't sitting in our laps. I can subtract 3 from 4.5 and I end up with 1.5 but that's about all I can gather from your post. So yeah, 1.5. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't worry about what you've "transferred" over. In PharmCAS you will report each course under the institution that you earned the credits from, and you will report the units as assigned by the institution. Then you will submit a transcript from each institution.

Per PharmCAS instructions: "Enter each course once from the transcript where it was originally taken, even if the credits transferred to another institution." (They have very detailed instructions on the website, make sure you read through it.)

So if you took math at a semester-based CC for 3.0 units.. when you transfer this to your quarter-based university they will note it on your transcript as 4.5 units of math.. this is just for their own internal purposes, to show how you met the requirement. Your transcript should note that it was transferred from whatever CC. When you report it to PharmCAS, you will enter it as taken at the CC for 3.0 units. If you enter the CC course under your university in PharmCAS, when they review your transcripts, they will return the application to you for correction.

ok but the cc is also in quarter system, it just transferred to 4.5 to my university. Im worrying because the requirment for psychology is 4.0 quarter unit so i dont know if i have to retake the course because its only 3 unit.

ok but the cc is also in quarter system, it just transferred to 4.5 to my university. Im worrying because the requirment for psychology is 4.0 quarter unit so i dont know if i have to retake the course because its only 3 unit.

Contact the schools you're applying to then, they will tell you if you need to retake it or not. You have to list it as the original 3 units.

there's a duplicate thread with the same question from the same person:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593459

you can't be making duplicate threads, howtodoadegree. it creates too much clutter and this question has already been answered. You need to contact the school about this issue!!!

I merged your two threads because they were asking the same thing. In the future, please only ask a question once.

I am a high school senior who will be attending a community college due to financial and grade problems. I would like to pursue a pharm D degree and complete the prerequisites at a community college. The community college that I will be attending offers all the prerequisites needed for the pharmacy school I would like to transfer to (Ernest Mario). My question is that I have heard that it is almost impossible to transfer to a pharmacy school straight from community college. Is this true?. And If I am also applying to out of state pharmacy schools such as Albany, St. John fisher, or Temple. These schools have different requirements so therefore Do i need to attend their undergraduate program first to complete the non-transferable courses?. Im so confused because how come so many people can apply to like 8 different schools when they all have different requirements for the prerequisites.

Please explain to me.

thank you.:)

Yep you can. But it might be more competitive for those only with 2 yrs done. How do you apply to 8 different schools with different prereqs? Complete all the extra classes :)
You don't have to attend their undergrad program, cc will do, but you do need to complete all of them.

No problem :p

Bottlecap, you absolutely can transfer from comm college into a pharmacy school. That's what I did and I'm glad I did it this way. I'm at a university now but I did all my prereqs at the comm college. Personally, I feel I was able to get better quality LORs from professors at the community college than the university due to the small class sizes. I was able to interact with my professors during each class period and they got to know more about me besides what my CV and grades told them. Of course you can get great LORs from professors at a big school, its just not the way I chose to go.

If you're just starting out, I recommend to make a spreadsheet of all the pre-reqs required at all the schools that you are seriously interested in applying at and then sorting the pre-reqs in order of most-needed. Usually advisors at comm college aren't that great (at least mine weren't) so you'll need to depend on yourself to take the right classes for the pharmacy programs you're interested in.

Start taking the classes in order of 'most-required' so that when you apply you will have most if not all of your pre-reqs done for all the schools you want to apply at. For example, if six schools you're applying to require microeconomics and only 1 school requires fine arts then you'll obviously want to get microeconomics done first. It appears that schools give preference to students who have all or almost all of their prereqs done before applying so it will work in your favor to have pre-reqs done that cover several schools instead of just one or two.

Since community colleges offer less classes than universities or big colleges, you also want to make sure that your comm college offers all of the pre-reqs that you will need to take. You should be covered unless you need to take biochem, which isn't offered at many CC's. Hope this info helps you!

You guys certainly answered my question. I will try my best at CC and yes the CC I am going to is the best in the state and offers all kinds of courses.

THANK YOU GUYS.:love:

I can see from the previous post that it is possible to go to pharm school from a CC, which I was not aware of. There are two caveats I would like to bring to your attention about this though. First of all, this may be different from school to school and 4 year to 6 year program based on their requirements. Double check your picks to be sure you can do this. Second, many pharmacy schools only accept pre-requisites completed at an accredited 4 year university....make sure that doesn't come back to burn you on your picks

I completely agree with the spreadsheet idea. I did the same thing to sort mine out. Unfortunately, on top of this, a lot more work is required. You need to make sure the pre-requisites are a the right match based on the school's criteria. Most G and O chem courses are going to be right but some schools do offer mammalian and human physiology, which could be a problem based on the pharm school. At my school, human physiology is a non-major course and some pharmacy schools won't accept it. Mammalian physiology is a majors course, is more intense, and covers human physiology. If you are confused a call to the school can solve any problems. Or, for schools like Oregon State that require 8 semester units of Phys....you might have to take both. So as you can see, there are vastly varied requirements. Take the time to make sure you know them so there are no nasty surprises down the road.

Other than that....good luck! It's a long long road. It can be trying at times but keep your goal in mind and how good it will feel to get into a school. I can tell you, after getting that acceptance letter, you'll feel like running a marathon with all the endorphins you'll have pumping through your system:D

I am a freshman undergrad student at CC and I am planning on taking pre pharmacy courses. I am very confused about what to major in...as well as a few other topics...

Some people have told me to major in Sociology and Psychology and others have told me to be an Anthropology major. Does anyone have any recommendations on which is better??:confused:

I plan on transferring to UCLA in fall 2010 and I am unsure about what major will increase my chances of acceptance and will also look good for pre pharmacy.

If anyone has any advice please let me know because it is important to complete my major courses as soon as possible. I am still unsure, as I have been for a while about what to major in. If I were to double major what could I double major in??

Also, I hope on getting into USC pharmacy school..does anyone know what the chances of getting in with a 3.7 or 3.6 gpa are? and how much does my score on the PCAT effect my acceptance?

In addition, since I am attending Santa Monica Community College now...where is it recommended that I take most of my upper level chem classes and other pre pharmacy requisites? should i take them at the CC level (since the classes might be considerably easier) or once I transfer to UCLA?

Thanks!:D