Transferring from community college to university. Worried about GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basedgod2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll be transferring as a sophomore with 67 credits from CC and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5. Granted, most of these credits I took was when I was in 11th and 12th of high school through PSEO and wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do. So do med schools look more at grade trends than flat out GPA and will the 3.5 from cc be a huge downfall if I do well at uni?
Also, do they take both GPA's from both transcripts and average them out?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ll be transferring as a sophomore with 67 credits from CC and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5. Granted, most of these credits I took was when I was in 11th and 12th of high school through PSEO and wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do. So do med schools look more at grade trends thank flat out GPA and will the 3.5 from cc be a huge downfall if I do well at uni?
Also, do they take both GPA's from both transcripts and average them out?

Thanks!
The MD school application service will take the official transcripts you ask your colleges to send them and generate a GPA that includes every grade earned, to create your application GPA. They use their own rules to do this, so a letter grade may have a slightly different weight than it has now.

Grade trends are obvious as GPAs are displayed on a year-by-year basis. And an upward grade trend will be appreciated.

A 3.5 isn't bad after the first two years. You have plenty of time to get it into a more competitive range. Average cGPA for acceptees is 3.69 and BCPM GPA is 3.63.

The MD school application service will take the official transcripts you ask your colleges to send them and generate a GPA that includes every grade earned, to create your application GPA. They use their own rules to do this, so a letter grade may have a slightly different weight than it has now.

Grade trends are obvious as GPAs are displayed on a year-by-year basis. And an upward grade trend will be appreciated.

A 3.5 isn't bad after the first two years. You have plenty of time to get it into a more competitive range. Average cGPA for acceptees is 3.69 and BCPM GPA is 3.63.
Thanks for the response. How do they calculate the application GPA? The GPA will start brand new since this school only takes transfer credit and not grades. So would they just take the GPA from both schools and divide by 2? Also, would it be every single class I've taken at the college level? Even the classes that don't count for my major (i.e. nursing assistant class, CPR, etc)?
Worst case- would a 3.6 cGPA be on the low end for MD schools?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

1) How do they calculate the application GPA?
2) The GPA will start brand new since this school only takes transfer credit and not grades. So would they just take the GPA from both schools and divide by 2?
3) Also, would it be every single class I've taken at the college level? Even the classes that don't count for my major (i.e. nursing assistant class, CPR, etc)?
4) Worst case- would a 3.6 cGPA be on the low end for MD schools?
1) Grade Conversion Guide: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

2) The GPA contribution from each school will be proportional to the credit hours earned.

3) Yes, every class at the college level. If you took CPR at a local community center, and not at an accredited college, it would not be included.

4) It's below the average for acceptees, but can be compensated for with a high BCPM GPA or a high MCAT score or extraordinary ECs.