• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Transferring Optometry Schools

Artsy17

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2015
  1. Pre-Optometry
    Has anyone been successful in transferring optometry schools? If so, how lengthy is the process and what school have you to transferred to? I know transferring is frowned upon but I am considering transferring from IAUPR and I wanted to know what my chances are of getting in to other schools given that my grades are good.

Loptometriste

7+ Year Member
    Sep 12, 2012
    1. Optometrist
      My guess would be difficult. The curriculum is set up differently at each school. The best answer would be to contact the other schools you are interested in and see what they have to say. I know some who were told they needed to start at day one again because of the differing courses.

Reactions: 1 user

optsuker

10+ Year Member
      Jul 28, 2008
      1. Optometrist
        Difficult to do and highly dependent on the circumstances.
        I assisted a student in doing it, but for it to happen:
        1. The school must have an open slot (someone else left/flunked out, leaving a position open
        2. Will probably add a year to your timeline. A 2nd year might get accepted as a 1st year in the new school.
        3. Be in good standing: flunking out of another school (especially a low-tier or new program) will not look good.
        4. If you were rejected from the school initially, unlikely that they would accept you later. Had an acceptance? then maybe.
        In the situation I helped with, a 2nd year at school A with a 3.2 GPA wanted to follow his spouse who was transferred for military.
        Was allowed to begin as a 2nd semester 1st year @ a school he had been accepted to previously. Lost an entire year, but was able to take a lighter load initially since he "tested" out of a couple courses.

If you're a bad student, I'd say forget it unless you're transferring TO IAUPR or one of the unaccredited programs.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.