1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Transferring out of a Residency Program

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by gdprosper, Nov 6, 2001.

1. gdprosper

gdprosper Junior Member

Hello,

I have a friend who is unhappy with the location of her residency. She is quite satisfied with the job but the distance from her friends and loved ones is difficult. I don't think transferring out of programs will be easy, if at all possible. However any advice or suggestions anyone might have would be welcome.

thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. theD.O.C.

theD.O.C. Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi;
    I have friends that have also thought of changing residency spots (location and type), and its not easy. The first thing to do if she's interested in changing is to speak with her PD. It's best to keep them in the loop and not piss them off. They can either make or break your transfer. Plus, they might be able to come up with some alternate solutions or names of programs to transfer to.

Good Luck!
    Just out of curiosity, which program is she looking to transfer out of?

4. gdprosper

gdprosper Junior Member

Thank you for the advice. She's been wary of talking to the Residency advisor, not wanting to bring up a potentially sensitive issue.
    I'd like to be able to tell you where she'd like to transfer out of but I have a feeling it's a politically risky thing to blurt out on a message board. I'll just tell you it's in the Philadelphia area.

5. theD.O.C.

theD.O.C. Member
    7+ Year Member

That's okay,

I know how tough it can be. I just happen to know alot about the DC programs esp. in IM. so I thought I could help a bit more. Can't say I know that much about the Philly progs though.