Transferring professional school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m going to cross-list this despite the annoyance of it, sorry.

I have a feeling I won?t be accepted to MD/DO school after I graduate, but I think I have a chance at OD school. My dad is an OD and I would like to take over his practice, as an ophthalmologist. I would be happy as and OD, but I think I would like the challenges of surgery as an ophthalmologist more. Because of this I have been thinking of a post-bac program for a year and then applying to MD/DO schools. My dad, 30 years out of the loop, suggested applying to OD schools right away and if I got in go there and while taking classes continue to apply to MD/DO school and if accepted transfer.

I know some schools make you finish any degree you are currently taking, is that common?

I also relies if I transfer I would have to start as a MSI, which really, I wouldn?t be any worse off than if I did a post-bac.

I think my main question is; if I weren?t accepted to an MD/DO school but am accepted to an OD and an organized pre-med post-bac, which should I go? Or rather what would you do if you were me?

Sorry for the length.

Members don't see this ad.

You will HAVE to finish the OD degree if you begin it. I've never heard of a school taking someone from another medically related degree program. That's poaching at its worst. And once you do have the OD degree, you will find it immensely more difficult to get into medical school. The schools will view you as indefinite on your life plans and thus not extremely desirable. Go for the post-bacc, but give the admissions dice a roll first.