transferring psychiatry programs - success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenders567

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

about to start looking for positions to transfer and wanted to hear about any positive stories about this experience. Currently about to start psych PGY-2 at my program, am seeking a psych PGY-3 position for next year. Any success stories to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I transferred as a pgy2. Pgy3 spots are rare. I had a good experience in that both the programs were different (one was VA heavy and other had county inpatient).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I transferred as a PGY 3 and regretted it. I think it depends on where and why. I thought I was going to a better program. Good luck

Fenders: It is hard for the grass to stay greener if you pee on it. Taking transfers is very tricky. If you are looking to move, you need to sound like it is only because of a life situation totally out of your control.

"I love my current program and I will really miss my fellow residents who have been so terrific to work with. It is just too bad that I have to make this move because....."
If you sound like you are running away from problems, we worry you might be bringing problems with you. This paranoid bias is well reinforced by experience so have a good reason for the move that doesn't say anything about your lack of success in your current position. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users