Transferring Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full of hope

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
It's me again! In trying to figure out my path to med school, I was wondering if you think it is a good idea to transfer universities in the middle of undergrad due to low grades. I am currently in that situation, and I am trying to decide if I should transfer to an easier university because my grades at the one I am at right now are too low. If I transfer, my GPA will start over. If I stay where I am, it is an uphill struggle to pick up my grades. What do you think?

Full of Hope :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

theoretically, you can transfer to an easier school and it might help your GPA. However, will that easier school do a good job at preparing you to take the MCATs? it's not uncommon for an easy school to have crappy teaching. also, your GPA might start over again at that new school, but not in the eyes of the medical schools and AMCAS. They want to see ALL of the grades that you received in all the classes that you have ever taken.

Depends how low your GPA is, but as for preparing for the MCAT. I think that preparation has more to do with self-determination and will power than the school's curriculum. Personally, all schools will teach the essentials, Chemistry is Chemistry no matter where you go. You may learn a little extra, but its nothing you can't overcome with a little more studying.

Furthermore, the above poster is correct, you do not get a clean slate in terms of your GPA.

One thing to keep in mind, the difficulty of a course has more, in my opinion, to do with the person teaching the class than the institution itself. Of course, you could say that compared to your peers at a perceivably easier school, the curve will help you tremendously. But, I know many professors do not curve (and I go to a no-name school) and I know many bright and very intelligent people here who could have made it ivy if they chose, but rejected them due to financial considerations.

Just a thought.

How do you know it is an easier school? sometimes people (not implying this is your case) assume that no name or state schools are easier than private schools and in most cases they are wrong. Just like some people assume that community colleges are also a ton easier. Anyways, I think that transferring would probably not be your best choice *unless* your poor grades are due to you not feeling "at home" in your school. I would not transfer just because I think that X school may be easier than Y school, and who is to say that even if the school was easier you would do better? Have you spoken to an advisor to asses your problem areas? have you approached the professors from the classes that you did poorly in? I would seek an answer to the above questions and see if by changing study habits, getting a tutor, and talking to other students I could change my course in GPA versus just changing schools.