Transferring to a US Medical School

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by GlamGirll, Dec 10, 2002.

1. GlamGirll

GlamGirll Junior Member

Does anyone know if its possible for me to transfer to a medical school in the U.S from Ireland?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Munir

Munir Junior Member

Many schools do accept transfers.But they have a very stringent policy.You really gotta be dying at your school to have them feel the mercy of even considering your application.The hard part is finding which schools have a transfer policy.
    Youl have to go through the gruelling task of contactiing all med schools either on phone or e.mail and beg them for a favorable reply.
    If you have the nerve to do it then theres no harm in trying.I attempted too but gave up as I lost the nerve.
    You can find lists and addresses of US med schools on www.aamc.org
    you can write to me if you find me of any more help on [email protected]

4. ApacheIndian

ApacheIndian philomath

SGU and Ross transfer a handful of students back to the States every year... if I were you I'd find out where these students have gone, and pursue those schools. Oh yes, and regardless of where you attempt to go, almost all will require a stellar performance on Step 1, so study hard :)...

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    As noted above, the requirements to transfer are rather stringent and vary from school to school. Some schools accept NO transfers, some accept them only from LCME schools, and some only accept transfers from people who have 'significant ties" to the school (ie, usually having a spouse on faculty or current medical student).

Most transfers take place between 2nd and 3rd year when there are more open spots for clinical students. But schools may also require that they have a spot left open by student death, academic failure, transfer, etc.

There is no reason why an Irish student would be at any more of a disadvantage than any other IMG. However, keep in mind that hundreds, perhaps thousands apply each year and only a handful (less than 100) are taken. But worth looking into if you are so inclined.