Yadster101

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys so Im taking econ right now and i find it to be pretty interesting... but im not that great in math. I can pull off an A in calc I but i know that calc II would destroy me. If i were to major in bio i would only need calc I but econ requires a lot more math...

Is it a good idea to major in econ along with taking difficult bio/chem classes when im sure this would not have a positive affect on my GPA? Would this hinder my performance on the MCAT since i would focus a lot less on bio and a lot more on econ in my classes?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
The effect on your MCAT score wouldn't be so great since you'd be taking the same prerequisites that the test is based on, but the impact of many difficult math classes on your cGPA could be sufficient to make an eventual med school acceptance far less likely.

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm majoring in econ (only need 9 more credits) and haven't taken many math courses except calc 1. If you really like it and aren't a wizard in math, then just stay away from econometrics and mathematical econ.

You also only need to complete the basic science prereqs to do well on the mcat.

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
I did econ at UIUC after entering as a chem major. Best decision I made while at UIUC. Unless you're serious about econ (going for your PhD eventually), the most math you have is Econ Stats I + II, which is non-calc based statistics. If you're genuinely interested in econ and find yourself good at it, the classes aren't that rough if you know which professors to take them with (especially intermediate microeconomics, huge difference between professors).

PM me if you have more questions.

ZzzZzzZzzZzzZzz

5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2010
Status
I did econ at UIUC after entering as a chem major. Best decision I made while at UIUC. Unless you're serious about econ (going for your PhD eventually), the most math you have is Econ Stats I + II, which is non-calc based statistics. If you're genuinely interested in econ and find yourself good at it, the classes aren't that rough if you know which professors to take them with (especially intermediate microeconomics, huge difference between professors).

PM me if you have more questions.

ratemyprofessor.com FTW! :thumbup:

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know if you got my message, but since a lot of the upper level econ courses at your school only require intermediate micro or macro, calc 1 should get you to where you need to go.