transferring to UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillybabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MSII trying to transfer to UConn. Has anyone here tried to?
Any students at UConn can give me some info/advice on this topic? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you at school now?

Allopathic school in US and I'm a CT resident

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering b/c different schools seem to have different feelings about students leaving...and about taking students. My state school won't take transfers. Period. Have you tried talking to the deans at UConn to find out their transfer policy? I have heard generally that you have to be married to someone at the school you want to transfer to or something like that...but maybe it's less stringent school to school.

GOOD LUCK! My friends at UConn like it, and it'd be great to get in-state tuition!

This is going to be redundant, but like jonquille said, every school seems to have their own policy on this issue. Some only take transfers into the third year, others take second year transfers...lots don't ever accept any transfers. The general theme regarding transfers though, is that if a school accepts advanced standing students there has to be a very compelling reason why you want to transfer. Some schools seem to be more liberal on what is considered a "compelling" reason, but I don't think that overall dissatisfaction with your current school will fly. My advice is to call up the admissions office and just ask about their policy regarding advanced standing applicants. Good luck. :cool:

went to that website, and saw the #s.. what does each # mean? # of actual transfers or # of spots available for transfer? It has to be the latter b/c they show #s for Year2,3(Next).. right?

BTW, USC KECK:

Year 3(Current) : 18
Year 3(Next): 10

WTF??????

Originally posted by chef
went to that website, and saw the #s.. what does each # mean? # of actual transfers or # of spots available for transfer? It has to be the latter b/c they show #s for Year2,3(Next).. right?

BTW, USC KECK:

WTF??????

considering that USC is a well-respected school with a tough academic program (not to say this is not true of other schools), I am not surprised that there were so many spots available for transfer. I don't know what UConn's policy is, but I know at Tufts they take exactly the number of transfer students (or less) as spots that are available due to students who fail and are held back a year. In order to fail a year at Tufts, you must fail Anatomy after retaking it during the summer, fail Physiology twice (also repeat in summer), or fail a make-up exam taken after the first time you fail a course. This year 3 people failed so we had 3 transfer students come in. All of them were female with husbands or boyfriends in Boston so I think that is pretty much the only reason you'd be allowed to transfer to some schools.. I don't know how UConn works, but hope it works out for ya!

Originally posted by chef

BTW, USC KECK:

WTF??????

The current year states how many spots are available for this year. The next year is for the following year, but most schools don't have a number in this slot b/c at this point they don't know how many spots they will have available. If you click on the name of the school they give you the specific criteria for transfer students. As an FYI, my school doesn't accept transfer students for ANY reason, so no information is provided whatsoever (in case you find a school w/no info).

This site obviously hasn't been updated b/c they list the current year as 2001-2002, so I would just use it as a reference for schools that do accept transfer students and then contact those schools directly for more info.

USC didn't have 10 open spots last year for transfer, they only accepted 10 transfer apps, and admitted only 2 people. I heard this from one of the 10 that applied. As for transferring, having ill parents or a significant other in the area of the other school are really the only excuse. Best of luck though.

Originally posted by hsV1
USC didn't have 10 open spots last year for transfer, they only accepted 10 transfer apps, and admitted only 2 people. I heard this from one of the 10 that applied. As for transferring, having ill parents or a significant other in the area of the other school are really the only excuse. Best of luck though.

when u say apply for transfer, do u mean teh whole amcas whooplah? do u essentially have to apply de novo w/ new PS, LORs etc?

Transfer apps are obtained directly froms schools. You don't have to go through amcas, you have to contact the school directly. Best of luck.