transferring- UIC/OHSU

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MedStudent2004, Mar 18, 2002.

1. MedStudent2004

I am currently a second year student in medical school at Missouri and have completed USMLE part one. The tuition is rather high for out-of-state students and am therefore thinking of transferring to either OHSU (Oregon) or Univ. of Illinois - Chicago (cost would end up being same). First, after looking on the US News website I saw that UIC is not ranked in the top 50 for research or primary care, but OHSU is #35 and #2 respectively -- is OHSU generally considered a much better school? Secondly, how important is the reputation of a school when matching -- I have good board scores/GPA, etc. and could possibly match at a great program from Missouri. Does it reflct negatively to transfer? I'm originally from the midwest and don't have as much experience with west coast schools so any insight would be helpful about OHSU specifically as I'm probably going to go there. Thanks again!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DJ W.R.

DJ W.R. Senior Member

4. MedStudent2004

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DJ W.R.:
    <strong>up</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">huh?

5. DJ W.R.

DJ W.R. Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MedStudent2004:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DJ W.R.:
    <strong>up</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">huh?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just trying to bump your thread up to the top so you would (hopefully) get more responses...

6. DJ W.R.

DJ W.R. Senior Member

Check your private messages...sent you some info that might help

7. MedStudent2004

Thanks for the input -- anyone else have any ideas?

8. MedStudent2004

9. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician

Attending Physician
    I don't know exactly what info you are looking for...but my roommate got accepted to OHSU as a transfer for next year. I can tell you that OHSU has a great reputation, especially if you want to go into a primary care field. Neither her nor I knew how impressive it was until she did some research on it and was shocked at it's phenomenal reputation. You would pay out-of-state tuition if you transfer there, and I don't think a transfer would look bad IF you have a legitimate reason for wanting to transfer (in other words, expect to explain your transfer reasons to residency directors).

hope this helps a little!
    smurfette

10. Penang

Penang Junior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Smurfette:
    <strong>I don't know exactly what info you are looking for...but my roommate got accepted to OHSU as a transfer for next year. I can tell you that OHSU has a great reputation, especially if you want to go into a primary care field. Neither her nor I knew how impressive it was until she did some research on it and was shocked at it's phenomenal reputation. You would pay out-of-state tuition if you transfer there, and I don't think a transfer would look bad IF you have a legitimate reason for wanting to transfer (in other words, expect to explain your transfer reasons to residency directors).

hope this helps a little!
    smurfette</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">bump