void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
If I transfer to another undergraduate university, what will happen?

Will my GPA be clean? When I apply to medical school, will they see my transcript only from my new undergraduate institution, or both?

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
They will see everything.

I was a transfer myself.

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, I should note that, when you start at your new school, your GPA will be back at 0.00.

However, when you apply, you are obligated to submit all grades and transcripts. Therefore, everything will count.

OP
V

void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
How will they know, though? Your new undergrad school will just give you your transcript. Why can't you just insert that into your AMCAS application, and just neglect to mention your old undergrad school. If they ask why you are so old, just say you worked or something. "I tried technical school for a while, but decided it wasn't for me." anything..

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That idea is super! I bet no one ever thought of it!

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
How will they know, though? Your new undergrad school will just give you your transcript. Why can't you just insert that into your AMCAS application, and just neglect to mention your old undergrad school. If they ask why you are so old, just say you worked or something. "I tried technical school for a while, but decided it wasn't for me." anything..
Because if they found out, your acceptances will be thrown out and you'll be blacklisted forever. Plus technical schools or community colleges also require a transcript. Also, I'm sure your school has it on record where you transferred from, so are you sure that's not on some paperwork somewhere? Finally, there is a national student clearinghouse where you can search for any person using their name and personal information, and find everywhere they went to school.

Don't be dumb. Submit the transcript.

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Even with your "technical school" excuse... they will ask for a transcript for that. Everything needs to be backed by evidence.

Applying to medical school is serious business. Some schools even do criminal background checks. Serious stuff... Don't even think about bs-ing your history.

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
OH.. I forgot one thing. Your NEW school will most likely incorporate information about where you transfer from.

The new school transcript will most likely indicate your old school and the number of credits your transferring in. Hahah no way around that.

OP
V

void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
How common is it for people to transfer medical schools a year or two after they get in?

Mandarin142

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
extremely uncommon. typically transfers are only seriously considered if you are married to a student at the school you wish to transfer to.

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
If I transfer to another undergraduate university, what will happen?

Will my GPA be clean? When I apply to medical school, will they see my transcript only from my new undergraduate institution, or both?
im pretty sure it would look odd to transfer into, say, junior year of a school and have no record of previous years. i doubt you can transfer into freshman year

and though u have 2 separate transcripts, i think credits that can transfer are factored into your new gpa at the new school.

extremely uncommon. typically transfers are only seriously considered if you are married to a student at the school you wish to transfer to.
arent there a lot of schools that never consider transfers?

and of course, there has to be open seats at a school in order for someone to transfer in. im pretty sure every seat is occupied by the start of school usually so someone else has to drop out transfer (or defer) a year or something before you can snag a seat through transfering

SoyMilk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2007
The West Side
Status
Medical Student
Its highly unlikely that anyone will ever find out. Its a great tactic if you have something to hide like academic dishonesty or a poor freshman year.

I know of plenty of people who did it, you should be fine;)

Disclaimer::: I am a gunner

Mandarin142

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thats quite true... I would say the majority of medical schools do not consider transfers at all. If they do it would be before the start of the third year only and again, only for very individual and compelling circumstances.

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
im pretty sure it would look odd to transfer into, say, junior year of a school and have no record of previous years. i doubt you can transfer into freshman year

and though u have 2 separate transcripts, i think credits that can transfer are factored into your new gpa at the new school.

and of course, there has to be open seats at a school in order for someone to transfer in. im pretty sure every seat is occupied by the start of school usually so someone else has to drop out transfer (or defer) a year or something before you can snag a seat through transfering
Credits that transferred are counted for graduation requirements. HOWEVER, the grades that are associated with the credits being transferred are NOT counted in the GPA of the new undergrad that you are in. With that said, the grades that you earned at your old school will not go into the calculation of your new GPA. Only the credits are considered.

Similar to how APs work. You take the AP you get credit for it. However, the grade that you got for that AP class (in HS) will not be considered in your GPA.