Transfers from D.O to MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimi2kul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
am just curious if any one knows someone that has successfully transfered from a DO program to an MD program in their third/fourth year? how rare/common can this be?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

am just curious if any one knows someone that has successfully transfered from a DO program to an MD program in their third/fourth year? how rare/common can this be?:confused:

Don't go to a DO school if you really must have the MD degree.

I've never heard of it (which doesn't mean it's never happened, mind you). I have heard of someone who started D.O., finished a year, and wanted the M.D. so badly they reapplied and started over as an M1 in the Caribbean. Not an easy, desirable, or financially sound path.

I agree with the above poster; if you simply won't be happy with anything but an M.D., do what you have to to improve your application and reapply until you get in. The D.O. route is not for people who are "settling" for it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
before every body goes off and all hell break loose. i am not interested in the name of DO/MD. i am very interested on becoming a physician so what ever 2letters are behind my name that is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know because coming from texas most DO schools out of state are pretty expensive and i could use some serious change saved from tuition if i can transfer back to texas be it TCOM/ any other med school during third and fourth year. plus i have 2children and my husband in pharmcay school. being closer to my family and saving on tuition was what i was thinking rather than tittle as oppose to what some people are already writing.

Fair enough. Nearly every D.O. school is private, so they'll all be pretty pricy - about on par with a lot of private M.D. schools. You'd also save money on tuition by waiting another year or two, improving your application, and reapplying to your state schools. Good luck! :)

before every body goes off and all hell break loose. i am not interested in the name of DO/MD. i am very interested on becoming a physician so what ever 2letters are behind my name that is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know because coming from texas most DO schools out of state are pretty expensive and i could use some serious change saved from tuition if i can transfer back to texas be it TCOM/ any other med school during third and fourth year. plus i have 2children and my husband in pharmcay school. being closer to my family and saving on tuition was what i was thinking rather than tittle as oppose to what some people are already writing.

I apologize if I came off as blunt. You're probably better off calling the Texas schools and asking them outright if they take transfers from DO schools. That would be a better answer than heresay/anecdotes from pre-meds on SDN. Or try the Osteopathic forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.