Transfers from DO to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otic ganglion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a MS-1 in a DO program which seems to be alienating itself from the student body more and more. Is it possible to transfer from a DO school to a MD school? If so, when is it most plausible to do so and are there any schools with more of a tendency to do so? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No it is not possible. Just enjoy the path you have taken. You will probably end up in the same place anyway.

Mikado

Yes, it is possible, but the same rules apply as for MD to MD transfers, namely: take the Step 1 and pass it, get approved for transfer from your Dean, have a GOOD reason for wanting to transfer (wanting an MD and not a DO doesn't cut it usually), and hopefully there'll be an MD school with a spot opening for the MS3 year -- that's the only year to which you can transfer.

Note that MOST MD schools will consider transfers from other MD schools EXCLUSIVELY. There are a handful that will consider DO transfers, and the only one that comes to my mind right now is Georgetown (or is it George Washington?). I think it's Georgetown.

------------------
Tim Wu.

Members don't see this ad :)
otic,
yes, it is possible to do, the chances are slim though. The best chance lies after you have successfully based both sets(COMLEX 1and USMLE 1) at the end of the 2nd year. I mention passing both because if you don't get to transfer you need to the COMLEX. IF you do get to transfer, USMLE is your future licensing exam.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by turtleboard:
Note that MOST MD schools will consider transfers from other MD schools EXCLUSIVELY. There are a handful that will consider DO transfers, and the only one that comes to my mind right now is Georgetown (or is it George Washington?). I think it's Georgetown.

Me thinks its Georgetown too Tim.

The regulations on transferring are legion and vary from program to program. If there are some schools which you are considering, you would be well advised to contact them regarding their transfer policy. As Tim notes, it can be difficult because of the extent of the regulations (only LCME students, only students with "compelling reasons", ony state residents, only if a spot is open [due to transfer/death/failure/drop out of others], etc.)

Best of luck.

Dean, have a GOOD reason for wanting to transfer (wanting an MD and not a DO doesn't cut it usually), and hopefully there'll be an MD school with a spot opening for the MS3 year
[/B][/QUOTE]
Then what would be a good reason?

Then what would be a good reason?[/B][/QUOTE]

A good reason often involves family, i.e., transferring because your spouse lives in that city.

--Kris