transfusion medicine in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ephelis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the job opportunites are like if one does a TM fellowship and then wants to go into private practice where they do some AP and manage the blood bank? Or does one pretty much need to plan on working in an academic setting? A recent graduate of my program said that TM is really "needed" but I think he was also looking for academic positions.

I really enjoy TM but I don't think I want to do academics.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what the job opportunites are like if one does a TM fellowship and then wants to go into private practice where they do some AP and manage the blood bank? Or does one pretty much need to plan on working in an academic setting? A recent graduate of my program said that TM is really "needed" but I think he was also looking for academic positions.

I really enjoy TM but I don't think I want to do academics.

Thanks.

Limited job market but talk to people before you make that decision that have done TM fellowships. The trend now is to do TM along with Surg Path and have a back up plan for community job if needed.

Agree with LA. From what I've heard the BB + AP/Surg path fellowship route is the route to go if a private practice job is desired. We recently had a graduate who is doing this and when I asked him why, his answer pretty much came down to JOBS.
LA, what gives? A few years ago, you were pretty high on BB/TM. Did you get put on the hitlist of La Cosa Nostra as you feared?

BB/TMing is a very well kept secret. Yes there are opportunities and its one of those fields you have be boarded to have a shot in it so your competition is limited. If you know you want to do BB (and this is as rare as hens teeth b/c rarely do med students see the diamonds in the rough, and this is one of em), do pure CP (3 years) and BB fellowship at someplace big like UCSF (very good CP/BB place) or if you can swing it MGH (the absolute best). There is a sort of back door to some groups where you can make alot of money doing BB and work less than a semi-retired radiologist, think maybe 8ish hours (or less, I myself have seen this and stood amazed) of work a week and get a full salary, but Im not going to post that, go into BB and figure it out. I know some BBers will send the mafia after me now for posting this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done a BB/TM fellowship & am currently doing SP. I've applied to & interviewed at a couple private practice jobs. However, I haven't seen this combination as making me more desirable. I also haven't see any jobs where they're looking for someone w/ expertise in BB, unlike DP or HP. If anyone knows of such positions in California, please PM me w/ the contact info.

In terms of BB only jobs (blood center or academic), I've also found it to be a mixed bag. They wondered why I did a SP fellowship if I'm interested in pursuing a BB career. The other medical directors were pure blood bankers.

----- Antony

My feelings on BB havent changed really at all, it is still:
~A limited job market that requires connections, the right fellowship and marketing yourself.
~Failure to land a BB job doesnt leave you with much recourse if you dont have the skill set to survive in a community practice ie-surg path.
~Doing a purely CP only then BB fellowship is risky unless you go "Balls Out" and have some connections. That said, it is still La Dolce Vita, just be pragmatic on whether you can pull it off.

We're cranking out CP only - TM fellowship people here at an alarming rate, so far everyone's gotten a job (our CP director knows how to make things happen) but the market in the neighborhood will get saturated quickly. We'll see what happens to the next crop...