transistional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bold and beautiful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am glad I found this site. can't wait to get your opinions.

I got matched in a categorical medicine program in the west coast. I live in east coast. I kept on trying to get a position and was lucky to find it here, the place where I live.
My question is since I got a transitional year now, I am just totally confused. I don't have any idea about transitional year. I really don't know which specialty I want to go. I just took it because I wanted to stay in this area. Can anybody please explain the difference between prelim vs transitional year. Having completed the transitional year what options I have. Can I go to
OB/GYN. or if I want to go to IM What do I have to do as I have heard transitional year is much lighter than intern year of IM So the requisites to go to PGY2 IM is not fulfilled. Do I have to repeat the firsyt year.

Thanks in anticipation

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah the transitional year is usually much lighter than a preliminary year. The transitional year I'm going to requires 3 months of IM, 1 month of outpatient medicine, 1 month general surgery, 1 month of EM and 6 elective months. Every TY program is a little different. If you're interested in medicine, I'm sure you could schedule your electives to look like the first year of a categorical medicine program and get credit for it. Typically people go into a transitional year because of a requirement for certain specialties (Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm, Ophthalmology, Rad Onc) or because they really don't know what they want to do and having the elective time helps people decide. The problem is, that usually if you don't go into an advanced position, you'll have to do the first year of OB/Gyn, Medicine over.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by bold and beautiful:
•I am sorry I wrote 'replay'instead of reply•••••lol... it's quite alright, but for future reference, you can edit your own post by clicking on the appropriate icon above it...