Transition to Active Duty being handled poorly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to call it like I see it, and even though I am generally a big fan of the Army, my transition off of HPSP and into OBLC en route to internship is killing me and especially my family.

The constant chaging of the plans, which class start date will I be attending, changing the plans back to the original plan, ad infinitum has completely worn down my wife.

If I were a student for whom this was their first expereince with the Army, I would not blame them for having negative feelings about it and wanting to get out as soon as their committment is up.

My OBLC date has been changed for the thrid time in 3 months, and each time we have made arrangements (telling jobs when our last day is, informing the land lords at both locations, making appointments for carpet cleaners, etc) based on what we are being told. Each time, we have to make different plans, the people who are counting on us think we are completely flaky. If this was a civilian company, no one would stay.

Members don't see this ad.

When I received orders to my first duty station after graduating residency, I flew to the location and bought a house. About a month before I was supposed to PCS, the detailer and my specialty leader canceled my orders without telling me. I discovered this by looking on BUPERS online where you can view your orders electronically. I thought it was going to be a catastrophic financial loss but I was able break even.

Try to stay positive and remember "semper gumby"... Your contract will end soon enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I received orders to my first duty station after graduating residency, I flew to the location and bought a house. About a month before I was supposed to PCS, the detailer and my specialty leader canceled my orders without telling me. I discovered this by looking on BUPERS online where you can view your orders electronically. I thought it was going to be a catastrophic financial loss but I was able break even.

Try to stay positive and remember "semper gumby"... Your contract will end soon enough.

Oh that sucks.

Just suck it up, okay? I don't hear the soldiers, Marines, Airman, and Navy guys complaining as much as you do. I sympathize with your situation, but the amount of crying by MDs and PhDs on this board is remarkable.

Are you dealing with a permanent brain injury? Are you having flashbacks? NO, SO DEAL WITH IT. You have a cake walk compared to the soldiers dying and being permanently disabled. You are not as special as you think.

Maybe you don't view the military as chance to make a difference in this world. Rather, a chance to get money for your studies. Quit complaining, it makes you look very weak and sets a bad example for those looking for information on this board. Facts are one thing. Complaining at every opportunity is another.

My situation has not been easy either, but the end result will turn out just fine. Think about the other service members who don't have it as easy as you do and maybe you wouldn't complain so much.

"Your contract will end soon enough."

That is what bothered me the most on this thread. Horrible attitude for others looking for information on this message board.

Just suck it up, okay? I don't hear the soldiers, Marines, Airman, and Navy guys complaining as much as you do. I sympathize with your situation, but the amount of crying by MDs and PhDs on this board is remarkable.

Are you dealing with a permanent brain injury? Are you having flashbacks? NO, SO DEAL WITH IT. You have a cake walk compared to the soldiers dying and being permanently disabled. You are not as special as you think.

If your employer told you you were moving someplace and then you spent HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS buying a house there, only to find out FROM SOMEONE BESIDES YOUR EMPLOYER that you weren't going there and would have to immediately sell the house, you might feel a little put out. You might even mention it to a colleague or two to warn them that it could happen to them. You probably wouldn't sit back and think, "Well, at least I'm not a Sudanese refugee fighting for a chance to sit under the only shade tree for miles around drinking goat piss and hiding from machete-wielding bandits." So get off your high horse and ask your questions. Maybe we'll answer them for you and you can get that "information" you're looking for. Why don't you be grateful this forum exists? It certainly didn't in the 90s when I was looking for info about mil med/HPSP.

P.S. We are soldiers, sailors, and airmen. And the non-medical types complain just as much as we do in my experience. Would you like a few examples from my shift yesterday when I listened to airmen, sailors AND soldiers complain to me?

That is what bothered me the most on this thread. Horrible attitude for others looking for information on this message board.

Were you expecting us to be recruiting for military medicine by always displaying a good attitude? You seem to have stumbled onto the wrong board.

Maybe you don't view the military as chance to make a difference in this world. Rather, a chance to get money for your studies. Quit complaining, it makes you look very weak and sets a bad example for those looking for information on this board. Facts are one thing. Complaining at every opportunity is another.

My situation has not been easy either, but the end result will turn out just fine. Think about the other service members who don't have it as easy as you do and maybe you wouldn't complain so much.

Are you actually in the military? I thought you were an applicant.

Who's the new pissed off guy? Has he been on deployment taking care of these guys he's talking about? I know for a fact a good number of the folks here have been.

I'm a pretty moderate guy on this forum: but COME ON there are plenty of things that could use improvement (i.e. the points raised in the initial post)and I have dozens of peers who didn't know the facts when they signed up.

There are actually folks who can improve the process and some of them actually read this board.

I have to call it like I see it, and even though I am generally a big fan of the Army, my transition off of HPSP and into OBLC en route to internship is killing me and especially my family.

The constant chaging of the plans, which class start date will I be attending, changing the plans back to the original plan, ad infinitum has completely worn down my wife.

If I were a student for whom this was their first expereince with the Army, I would not blame them for having negative feelings about it and wanting to get out as soon as their committment is up.

My OBLC date has been changed for the thrid time in 3 months, and each time we have made arrangements (telling jobs when our last day is, informing the land lords at both locations, making appointments for carpet cleaners, etc) based on what we are being told. Each time, we have to make different plans, the people who are counting on us think we are completely flaky. If this was a civilian company, no one would stay.

This is pretty par for the course coming out of school status and onto active duty. I had my orders changed 3 times coming onto active duty from ROTC.

Although it can still happen for your second duty assignment as well (just not as often from what I saw). Semper gumby is nice, but hard to do with a family. I guess I am used to it and my family and I make the best of these unexpected twists and turns, because it stopped frustrating me as much after a while. It can always be worse...and in the words of the fat man...they can always hurt you more.

If the truth bothers you so much; why don't you limit your information sources to your recruiter? He will certainly tell you how much military medicine ROCKS!!! BTW, see you back in this forum 4-5years from now… :smuggrin:

FYI: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42609

DIVEMD
32 days to go...

If the truth bothers you so much; why don’t you limit your information sources to your recruiter? He will certainly tell you how much military medicine ROCKS!!! BTW, see you back in this forum 4-5years from now… :smuggrin:

DIVEMD
32 days to go...

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum. I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have not been on SDN for a couple days, and (for those of you who are aware of most of my postings) I have a new badge of honor!!! Someone is telling ME to stop complaining about the military. That's rich. Thanks everyone else for sticking up for me. I was simply trying to be as objective as possible, even though I know I bleed green.

Edit--Sorry, I just could not let this go. ArmyBarYou, you are an idiot. I would direct your attention to the search feature and go look up EVERY OTHER THREAD I HAVE EVER POSTED TO. What the heck is wrong with you?

Man, that one takes the cake. I am soooo sorry you had to deal with that.

And to reiterate what I think many others are saying--this crap has nothing to do with selfless service and all that. It is a part of being in the Army as of right now, and it needs to change. It is no way to treat employees, whether they love their jobs or not.

If the truth bothers you so much; why don’t you limit your information sources to your recruiter? He will certainly tell you how much military medicine ROCKS!!! BTW, see you back in this forum 4-5years from now… :smuggrin:

DIVEMD
32 days to go...

Thanks for the link. Funniest thing I've read in months.

73BARMYPgsp,

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you. First, I am new here so I have no idea of your history with respect to postings. Second, your former signature line (now removed) "Army. So easy a caveman can do it" was derogatory. I don't care if it was a joke or not. It should not have been there.

And please refrain from calling me an idiot please. I'm sorry it messed up your living situation, but you made the choice to purchase the house, not the military.

To a couple others, I never said you couldn't complain. I just think that some of the complaints were a little petty compared to what some military personnel have to deal with.

We simply disagree. Sorry if you don't like what I said, but I meant it. Let's not make it a major issue please. Have a good day.

Are you actually in the military? I thought you were an applicant.
Any response to this, ArmBarYou? I'm curious what your background is too. If you think complaining in the military is unique to milmed, I'm wondering what your exposure is like.

73BARMYPgsp,

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you. First, I am new here so I have no idea of your history with respect to postings. Second, your former signature line (now removed) "Army. So easy a caveman can do it" was derogatory. I don't care if it was a joke or not. It should not have been there.

And please refrain from calling me an idiot please. I'm sorry it messed up your living situation, but you made the choice to purchase the house, not the military.

To a couple others, I never said you couldn't complain. I just think that some of the complaints were a little petty compared to what some military personnel have to deal with.

We simply disagree. Sorry if you don't like what I said, but I meant it. Let's not make it a major issue please. Have a good day.

You really need to work on your sense of humor. "You made the choice to purchase the house." WTH is that supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that he shouldn't have bought a house, shouldn't have paid a deposit to rent a place, shouldn't have transferred his blockbuster membership, or shouldn't have bothered making any friends because hey, that's the military? That's just, well, idiotic. Come on, give me a break.

Having had orders changed on me after they were "for sure" I know what he's going through. I was lucky enough to have found out before I had bought/rented anything and I was lucky enough that the assignment officer was reasonable enough to call and tell me himself, but it still stinks.

DIVEMD
32 days to go...

The onion rocks almost as much as the Navy. Those last few days will fly by, man. I'm unemployed (still getting a steady paycheck) and homeless and loving it. Residency starts next month and life is good.

Nah...you need to do a lot worse than that to get banned. He is merely a dissenting opinion. Keeps things healthy and lively. 2 posts doesn't get you anywhere near troll status.

Nah...you need to do a lot worse than that to get banned. He is merely a dissenting opinion. Keeps things healthy and lively. 2 posts doesn't get you anywhere near troll status.

In my mind it has more to do with the status of the poster. A dissenting opinion, even expressed in a way some might view as imflamatory, is (I think) prespective and should be welcome, as long as it comes from an actual military doctor (i.e. A1). The further someone is from being a military doctor the less inflamatory I feel they have a right to be (military PA/psychologist/nurse/corpsman is greater than military non-medical personel is greater than HPSP student is greater than ROTC student is greater than everyone else). A dissenting opinion from someone who is neither in the military or a physician, such as (I think) Armbar is trollish, or at least useless enough that I see no reason for the inflamatory posts to be here. It just disrupts a forum that a lot of medical students need for information about first accepting, and then navigating, military medicine.

Of course I'm not in charge.

A couple of you have too much time on your hands. Not sure where you got the psychologist info either. Have a good one. No use talking to you guys.

Being completely NAIVE, unexperienced, acting like you know everything, and bashing others for something that you have no idea how you will react to in the future is typical of alot of people in this forum. Its annoying, but not punishable by banishment. Showing off your ignorance should be punishment enough.

Not sure where you got the psychologist info either.
Anyone know what kind of PhD would go through OBLC other than a psychologist? Not interested in restarting a debate on anything else, but this question has me curious.

Your lack of maturity and insisting to have the last word has me curious. You are just a student junior. Maybe you should refrain from opening your mouth until you earn the title doctor. Until then, you are just another student to me. I find your character very questionable and I seriously doubt you a good person to have as a coworker.

Perrotfish,

I just searched your posts. I think they say a lot about you. This is what I learned.

1. You have a poor GPA. I find it remarkable that you are even in medical school. How did you get in with that kind of GPA?

2. You ask a lot of questions, most of which have no purpose other than to hear yourself talk. Your last post on here was a good example.

3. Interesting how you have a problem with me discussing the negativity on here. You have zero experience. Example, you asked how long it takes from research to publication. That is a very naive question to say the least. Go out and do it to find out.

Just go away and get some experience before you critique me, okay? You are simply a new medical student who thinks he is an expert because you post on here 4.5 times a day. You have too much time on your hands. Hit the books and maybe you will perform better than your former 2.8 GPA, okay? Books, not the Internet.

Stop focusing on me. I find it immature and amusing since you are not even an MD yet. Your answer about PhD is many jobs.

ArmBarYou,

Couple things, that your going to eventually learn, but may take a while.

First, is that you should pick your battles. I am fairly certain you won't take this advice, but don't pick a fight that you don't even have the experience to be in.

Second, know your enemy.
Don't assume that none of us have nightmares about what we have seen or done.

i want out (of IRR)

I want out,

I guarantee you that if someone like you said something about it I would not even respond. I just don't like Perrotfish picking a fight. To me, he appears to be someone right out of college who thinks he knows everything, but doesn't even know if he will even complete medical school.

You appear to have been there and done that. I respect you for it and appreciate your sacrifice.

I'm going to go ahead and not respond to most of this, since I don't see any resolution that way.

For the record was just curious about what PhD, other than Phychologist, goes through OBLC. I through that OBLC was direct comission only (or am I getting acrynoms mixed up), and I though that meant the only PhD that should be going is a psychologist. I ask things because I like knowing about where the military, both because I want to know as much as possible about where I'm going to work and because of a general interest in the military which is why I'm joining in the first place. Also hopefully if I keep asking things on the Internet I won't make mistakes, such as assuming some random PhD is a psychologist for a week, in real life. Wasn't picking on you, wasn't thinking about you, and the question only related to you in the sense that you were the one that brought the question to my attention.

Yes I have too much free time on my hands. I'm traveling, which turns out to be a wierd mix of not having slept in three days and not having anything to do for days at a time (now). There's only so much Spanish language television you can watch, you know?

If you want a history of my academics keep reading posts. It explains how I got in. I've spent a lot of time explaining it to others digging themselves out of the same hole.

Fine. Dispute over then.

That is good that you're helping others who have GPA issues. You never know, one of them may become an MD or DO one day because you helped them.

I'm going to go ahead and not respond to most of this, since I don't see any resolution that way.

For the record was just curious about what PhD, other than Phychologist, goes through OBLC. I through that OBLC was direct comission only (or am I getting acrynoms mixed up), and I though that meant the only PhD that should be going is a psychologist. I ask things because I like knowing about where the military, both because I want to know as much as possible about where I'm going to work and because of a general interest in the military which is why I'm joining in the first place. Also hopefully if I keep asking things on the Internet I won't make mistakes, such as assuming some random PhD is a psychologist for a week, in real life. Wasn't picking on you, wasn't thinking about you, and the question only related to you in the sense that you were the one that brought the question to my attention.

Yes I have too much free time on my hands. I'm traveling, which turns out to be a wierd mix of not having slept in three days and not having anything to do for days at a time (now). There's only so much Spanish language television you can watch, you know?

If you want a history of my academics keep reading posts. It explains how I got in. I've spent a lot of time explaining it to others digging themselves out of the same hole.

I think the question in here was "are clinical psychologists the only PhD directly commissioned officers who attend OBLC." I am pretty sure the answer is "yes." Although I think nurses, PA's, DDS's, DVM's, OT's and PT's are also directly commissioned, and they go to OBLC. Hope that helps. :)

There is also AOC 73F. That's a PhD level psychologist who is not a clinician, but a researcher.

I think the question in here was "are clinical psychologists the only PhD directly commissioned officers who attend OBLC." I am pretty sure the answer is "yes." Although I think nurses, PA's, DDS's, DVM's, OT's and PT's are also directly commissioned, and they go to OBLC. Hope that helps. :)

There is also AOC 73F. That's a PhD level psychologist who is not a clinician, but a researcher.

We had at least one directly commissioned PhD chemist at OIS (navy)

Most of us probably don't see many of them, because they probably don't have quite as many, or as high a turnover as they have in the medical community.
but thats just a guess on my part.

i want out (of IRR)

Microbiology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Molecular Biology

And more.........................
Medical technology, biochemistry, physiology, chemistry, toxicology, parasitology, immunology.

The know it alls are wrong again. You think there are two jobs in the Army for PhDs???????? LOL, okay. Look it up.

It could be microbiology, not sure LOL.

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you.

They always say this, but what they really mean is "I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you....as long as I get the last word."

And more.........................
Medical technology, biochemistry, physiology, chemistry, toxicology, parasitology, immunology.

The know it alls are wrong again. You think there are two jobs in the Army for PhDs???????? LOL, okay. Look it up.

It could be microbiology, not sure LOL.

Oh my gosh! You got us know it alls right you want us! Wrong about something--namely how many PhD level AOC's there are, what they are, and what the source of their commission is. What should we do, where should he hide, my fellow know it alls? We have been discovered.