Transitional/prelim med/prelim surg/IM/FM to EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case you go unmatched, which is the best residency pgy1 that a re-applicant can apply from?

Trying to figure out my backups.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In case you go unmatched, which is the best residency pgy1 that a re-applicant can apply from?

Trying to figure out my backups.

In my opinion, it is Transitional Year, since you can do a couple EM electives. Considering you already have your SLORs, the best time to do your EM electives would be November and January/February. Do IM and ICU blocks before November, so that you can come in with some experience. Preferentially see if you can do your elective blocks of EM at a residency with an EM residency and express your deep interest in matching at that program (if that's true).

By the way, I did this.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, it is Transitional Year, since you can do a couple EM electives. Considering you already have your SLORs, the best time to do your EM electives would be November and January/February. Do IM and ICU blocks before November, so that you can come in with some experience. Preferentially see if you can do your elective blocks of EM at a residency with an EM residency and express your deep interest in matching at that program (if that's true).

By the way, I did this.

I'm doing this right now. Currently an Osteopathic TRI-ACGME site visit is in 2 weeks, and anticipating accreditation when the RRC meets in September. I'm on EM July, August, and March. EMS Elective in December, and Sep-Oct-Nov is IM, ICU, and Night Float, with everything else in the spring.

Definitely find ones that are connected to EM programs. My PD was the EM PD when I auditioned and one of my SLOE writers. You should have the opportunity to get face time with the faculty and residents.

Reactions: 1 user