Transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderjniln

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I'm a little confused about applying towards transitional year positions. I have seen that there are "official" transitional year programs but I have also seen that people are doing their PGY-1 in programs that are not listed as transitional. How does one determine where one can apply to transitional programs?
Thanks.
--Andy

Members don't see this ad.

Yah, me too...what about the Osteopathic Rotating Internship???

Andy,

The best way to find this kind of information is at <a href="http://www.ama-assn.org:/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html" target="_blank">AMA FRIEDA</a> . This is a database of residency programs maintained by the American Medical Association, with lots of info on some programs, like number of positions, call schedules, and salaries.

According to the AMA, there are 140 transitional programs across the country. They tend to be competitive, because they are considered the easiest (in terms of call schedules and work hours) of the PGY1 preliminary years. Other alternatives are preliminary medicine or surgery, which are less competitive.

Good luck!