Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Transitional year

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by hudsontc, Oct 29, 2002.

1. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Hi all. I'm still a junior doing my undergraduate work. I work at a hospital and have been fascinated with the anesthesiologists there. What does the full scope of their practice involve? I only see a little of what they do....so I'm curious.
    Also, could somebody explain to me what a Transitional year is and how it is different...if it is different... from getting a residency spot in anesthesiology? If I do decide that this is the field for me, will I need to be well into the top half of my class in med school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Is everybody pretty much oblivious to the questions I'm asking here? Isn't this the anesthesiology board?

4. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Your question about a transitional year has been asked and answered multiple times in many other posts, which may be why people aren't answering it. Try doing a search using the term "transitional year" and you'll see what has been written.

As for anesth. residency -- it starts at PGY 2, so you have to get a PGY 1 spot, either (1) transitional, or (2) preliminary (in med or surg). You can try to Match for both PGY1 and 2 at the same time.