1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Transitional year

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by hudsontc, Oct 29, 2002.

1. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Hi all. I'm still a junior doing my undergraduate work. I work at a hospital and have been fascinated with the anesthesiologists there. What does the full scope of their practice involve? I only see a little of what they do....so I'm curious.
    Also, could somebody explain to me what a Transitional year is and how it is different...if it is different... from getting a residency spot in anesthesiology? If I do decide that this is the field for me, will I need to be well into the top half of my class in med school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Is everybody pretty much oblivious to the questions I'm asking here? Isn't this the anesthesiology board?

4. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Your question about a transitional year has been asked and answered multiple times in many other posts, which may be why people aren't answering it. Try doing a search using the term "transitional year" and you'll see what has been written.

As for anesth. residency -- it starts at PGY 2, so you have to get a PGY 1 spot, either (1) transitional, or (2) preliminary (in med or surg). You can try to Match for both PGY1 and 2 at the same time.