transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO applying to both osteopathic and allopathic residencies. My number one choice is a community MD program. I have just recently applied IM to it and was wondering if applying to the transitional program as well will help if I do not match IM. I'm guessing TY is harder to get so it won't. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a DO applying to both osteopathic and allopathic residencies. My number one choice is a community MD program. I have just recently applied IM to it and was wondering if applying to the transitional program as well will help if I do not match IM. I'm guessing TY is harder to get so it won't. Any advice?

Reconfigure your question and ask if applying to the gas program there will help if you don't match to IM. The answer to your question, and to my question are the same.

Not my question at all. And it is actually prelim med and cat med. they had unfilled spots in prelim med last year and not in cat med. Why would I lie in an anonymous forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any actual advice on my ACTUAL question would be appreciated. Maybe it is crazy, that is why I am asking. I didn't even think about it until last night when I noticed the p med did not fill last year.

Any actual advice on my ACTUAL question would be appreciated. Maybe it is crazy, that is why I am asking. I didn't even think about it until last night when I noticed the p med did not fill last year.

You asked about a TY which is a completely different specialty from IM (cat or prelim)...I did answer your original question.

Now that you've asked the question you actually meant to ask, the answer is that you can if you want but it's kind of silly. If they don't want you as a cat resident, they won't want you as a prelim. Lots of prelim programs don't fill and some may only rank applicants who are pursuing advanced programs. Also, a prelim spot is no guarantee of being able to move on to a PGY2 spot so you might wind up back in the match the next year with only one year of wasted funding to show for it (although you would also be eligible for any open PGY2 spots...but those are tough to find).

I have some friends who did this only because it was absolutely necessary for them to be in one particular place and they wanted to maximize their chances.

I have some friends who did this only because it was absolutely necessary for them to be in one particular place and they wanted to maximize their chances.

That is the boat I am in. Maybe not absolutely necessary, but almost.

That is the boat I am in. Maybe not absolutely necessary, but almost.

Have you done an elective rotation at the hospital? I would maybe try that, and try to make a really good impression. You can always meet with the PD and tell them how interested you are, and ask his or her advice directly on applying for both the categorical and prelim positions. IMO though, I wouldn't do it. My friend is going through the whole application process again this year, and it sucks. If you're OK with having to do this all over again, then go for it, but I'd definitely discuss it with the PD first.

Thanks for replies. I did not rotate there, almost did but was told MD programs do not care too much about auditions. DO programs put a huge weight on them so I'm spending all my elective time at them. I wish I had now. Sorry for the confusion of TY. If they are so different why would anybody do prelim med? Would you go on to match pgy2 or start at pgy1? I wouldn't even mind the extra year if I could go to this place but how does that affect funding?

Thanks for replies. I did not rotate there, almost did but was told MD programs do not care too much about auditions. DO programs put a huge weight on them so I'm spending all my elective time at them. I wish I had now. Sorry for the confusion of TY. If they are so different why would anybody do prelim med? Would you go on to match pgy2 or start at pgy1? I wouldn't even mind the extra year if I could go to this place but how does that affect funding?

I think some fields like Rad Onc allow you to choose if you want to do a rotating internship or a straight medical internship for your pgy1, and then they start at pgy2. I'm not sure which other programs do that, maybe rads.