Transitioning out of "live like a resident"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalpsychyear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a promise to myself that I would live like a resident for 5 years after I started really working ( full time hours) which started in Dec 2016 since i took 6 months post residency off to do boards, travel, work on business related things which i would eventually start.

We are in Mid 2019 so I am 2.5 years into this plan but it is tough to sorta change these type of habits. I went from live like a resident and then discovered the FIRE movement and thoughts of a potential retirement by the end of 2029 when i would be in my early 40s seem to kinda hold me back from spending even though I would at worst be part time in 2030 under the best scenario since balance and structure are key to a healthy life.

Through hard work in residency doing extra shifts like moonlighting like a madman in 3rd/4th year i started attending life completely debt free. I honestly in my last year of residency was getting a monthly stipend of 3100-3300 monthy not counting my side work and found it difficult to spend. Even now as an attending being single in the midwest I still don't spend more than 3500 a month and let me add that at least 1000 a month of that is non essentials things like amazon purchases, restaurants/shows with the gf, tennis, amusement parks etc. However major expenses are coming like i see myself in 3 years living in a 500k-700k house which scares me but it really shouldn't,20k ring, 50k wedding stuff.

I used to think i'd want to lease a BMW/mercedes as a business vehicle or buy an SUV which qualifies for the suv deduction but i'm not sure i come out ahead compared to leasing a 4runner/camry which costs about 500 total a month since it snows here. It does feel weird when i pulled up in my camry to meet a recent hospital admin rep and he was driving a better car than me which doesn't bother me from a personal standpoint but rather i have been told to some reasonable degree you need to present yourself as a successful person be it in your attire/vehicle which will motivate others to work and go further in any business arrangements.

I used to think the opposite as in not being flashy may make people feel sorry for you like oh he is just a psychiatrist driving a camry he must be struggling so we will def be trying to send him all the patients we can or legally will your patients try and sue you more if you show up in a tesla/maserati vs a simple camry. I wonder what the research would show on that.

Was it difficult for you guys to grow out of the "live like a resident mantra"? I think my situation is further complicated because I am really into the FIRE movement not because I would actually retire in 10 years but it just seems like such an amazing mental relief/peace to say hey I could stop working right now and keep my lifestyle and do whatever i want. Almost like I beat the work game in life. I struggle with extremes. So while I am really good at over saving, I worry I could fall into the other extreme but if i have already reached FI status its alot safer to "loosen the purse strings" as that white coat investor guy would say. I wish sometimes I was less cautious like that WCI says shoot for 25x yearly exenses saved but for me I think early retirement and the chance of a bear market right when you do that it should be 50x expenses.. just in case.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I treat a group of high functioning professionals in a cash outpatient practice in a high-cost area, and it's not unusual for people to be obsessed with financial independence. While the large portion of my practice have impulsive control problems and are in terrible financial shape because of dysfunction on poor control, there is a minority of individuals:

- who are excessively into the "FIRE movement" and often have co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses: social phobia, autistic spectrum disorder, generalized anxiety disorder
- High-income professionals who insist on saving > 50-70% of their income, especially in low-cost areas, in particular, is often pathognomonic for cluster C personality disorders - of course this is a clinical sample, so obviously biased, and there are people who are genuinely very happy with minimalism and still love their job, but often when you conduct an in depth interview (in TFP jargon, a "structural interview") it's very obvious these people don't know WHY they are working so hard on jobs they don't even like, and they certainly don't know WHY they are saving so much. It's a confused obsession.
- In particular, there is a very high degree of relationship dysfunction. The presenting chief complaint is typically 1- marital issues 2- lack of intimate relationships
- individuals of this prototype often respond to insight-oriented treatment, but (perhaps not surprsingly) there is a high degree of LACK of insight at presentation, with often a denial of "something's wrong", even when the traits of personality disorder fairly prominent, and the functional impact obvious.
- so, at minimum, in my opinion, the first step for you is a complete psychiatric evaluation, with someone who has significant training in psychodynamic psychiatry. If it is confirmed that the decisional capacity is not interfered by a diagnosable psychiatric entity, then the next step is to write down a financial plan. You are saving for saving's sake, which is in CBT jargon an irrational cognitive distortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I treat a group of high functioning professionals in a cash outpatient practice in a high-cost area, and it's not unusual for people to be obsessed with financial independence. While the large portion of my practice have impulsive control problems and are in terrible financial shape because of dysfunction on poor control, there is a minority of individuals:

- who are excessively into the "FIRE movement" and often have co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses: social phobia, autistic spectrum disorder, generalized anxiety disorder
- High-income professionals who insist on saving > 50-70% of their income, especially in low-cost areas, in particular, is often pathognomonic for cluster C personality disorders - of course this is a clinical sample, so obviously biased, and there are people who are genuinely very happy with minimalism and still love their job, but often when you conduct an in depth interview (in TFP jargon, a "structural interview") it's very obvious these people don't know WHY they are working so hard on jobs they don't even like, and they certainly don't know WHY they are saving so much. It's a confused obsession.
- In particular, there is a very high degree of relationship dysfunction. The presenting chief complaint is typically 1- marital issues 2- lack of intimate relationships
- individuals of this prototype often respond to insight-oriented treatment, but (perhaps not surprsingly) there is a high degree of LACK of insight at presentation, with often a denial of "something's wrong", even when the traits of personality disorder fairly prominent, and the functional impact obvious.
- so, at minimum, in my opinion, the first step for you is a complete psychiatric evaluation, with someone who has significant training in psychodynamic psychiatry. If it is confirmed that the decisional capacity is not interfered by a diagnosable psychiatric entity, then the next step is to write down a financial plan. You are saving for saving's sake, which is in CBT jargon an irrational cognitive distortion.
I think it is irrational to recommend a psychiatric evaluation to the OP.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is irrational to recommend a psychiatric evaluation to the OP.

Not if you know OPs history, he is constantly posting about this stuff. Think a couple years ago thread was even aptly titled “oversaving compulsion”. So either he is compelled to “humble brag” about his saving or compelled to save excessively and constantly post about it. Either way genuinely doesn’t seem satisfied with something and probably wouldn’t hurt to have a therapist to talk to about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I made a promise to myself that I would live like a resident for 5 years after I started really working ( full time hours) which started in Dec 2016 since i took 6 months post residency off to do boards, travel, work on business related things which i would eventually start.

We are in Mid 2019 so I am 2.5 years into this plan but it is tough to sorta change these type of habits. I went from live like a resident and then discovered the FIRE movement and thoughts of a potential retirement by the end of 2029 when i would be in my early 40s seem to kinda hold me back from spending even though I would at worst be part time in 2030 under the best scenario since balance and structure are key to a healthy life.

Through hard work in residency doing extra shifts like moonlighting like a madman in 3rd/4th year i started attending life completely debt free. I honestly in my last year of residency was getting a monthly stipend of 3100-3300 monthy not counting my side work and found it difficult to spend. Even now as an attending being single in the midwest I still don't spend more than 3500 a month and let me add that at least 1000 a month of that is non essentials things like amazon purchases, restaurants/shows with the gf, tennis, amusement parks etc. However major expenses are coming like i see myself in 3 years living in a 500k-700k house which scares me but it really shouldn't,20k ring, 50k wedding stuff.

I used to think i'd want to lease a BMW/mercedes as a business vehicle or buy an SUV which qualifies for the suv deduction but i'm not sure i come out ahead compared to leasing a 4runner/camry which costs about 500 total a month since it snows here. It does feel weird when i pulled up in my camry to meet a recent hospital admin rep and he was driving a better car than me which doesn't bother me from a personal standpoint but rather i have been told to some reasonable degree you need to present yourself as a successful person be it in your attire/vehicle which will motivate others to work and go further in any business arrangements.

I used to think the opposite as in not being flashy may make people feel sorry for you like oh he is just a psychiatrist driving a camry he must be struggling so we will def be trying to send him all the patients we can or legally will your patients try and sue you more if you show up in a tesla/maserati vs a simple camry. I wonder what the research would show on that.

Was it difficult for you guys to grow out of the "live like a resident mantra"? I think my situation is further complicated because I am really into the FIRE movement not because I would actually retire in 10 years but it just seems like such an amazing mental relief/peace to say hey I could stop working right now and keep my lifestyle and do whatever i want. Almost like I beat the work game in life. I struggle with extremes. So while I am really good at over saving, I worry I could fall into the other extreme but if i have already reached FI status its alot safer to "loosen the purse strings" as that white coat investor guy would say. I wish sometimes I was less cautious like that WCI says shoot for 25x yearly exenses saved but for me I think early retirement and the chance of a bear market right when you do that it should be 50x expenses.. just in case.

This FIRE stuff is getting out of hand to be honest.

Live moderately. Spend a little coin on yourself. You don't have to live the models and bottles lifestyle but live comfortably. You could die sooner rather than later and then you've deprived yourself for nothing.

As far as the car, buy what you want. In my hospital physician parking lot, there are lambos, Mclarens, Teslas, etc and Hondas (mine). It's not a big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not obsessed about financial independence. I think you have to look at the big picture in medicine to know there is some doubt about how practice will be in the next 10-15 years. We as a group who are in practice now will probably make more money easier in the next 10 years inflation adjusted than at any other time. Also, whatever you save now will grow much more than at any other time. That is basic math after I've read enough stories of what docs wish they would have done starting out.

I don't limit myself I just choose some smarter more economical options. You have to understand that my upcoming expenses of a 500k+ home, diamond ring, and wedding, are considerable expenses at this stage of my career. I don't think truly to hit FIRE in 10 years from now is pathological unless it were compromising something significant now. That I drive a 4runner/camry instead of a BMW while I may prefer the latter in some ways it gives me mental breathing room that I hold off on that for now.

The bigger problem is most doctors are terrible with money and their are certain societal norms or expectations on how we "should" be living. It is more of a battle with the dichotomy of that which is a struggle but less so as I progress in my career. It should be noted Since dec of 2018 i have gone on 3 week long vacations as I value experience over material things but its hard to spend your money if you are geared like that as we live in a very material world and you can't always get time off for experiences. Hence one of my dreams is to finish off this work cycle (2030) so i can truly enjoy traveling and culture around the world and I want to do it luxuriously if possible.

The cost of house and cars are pennies compared to the cost of wife (and kids).

Not having the latter is the quickest way to FIRE and luxury.

The cost of house and cars are pennies compared to the cost of wife (and kids).

Not having the latter is the quickest way to FIRE and luxury.

Maybe in the start I agree but that shouldn't be how someone basis their life. IMO the latter is what makes life truly enjoyable.

I am not obsessed about financial independence. I think you have to look at the big picture in medicine to know there is some doubt about how practice will be in the next 10-15 years. We as a group who are in practice now will probably make more money easier in the next 10 years inflation adjusted than at any other time. Also, whatever you save now will grow much more than at any other time. That is basic math after I've read enough stories of what docs wish they would have done starting out.

I don't limit myself I just choose some smarter more economical options. You have to understand that my upcoming expenses of a 500k+ home, diamond ring, and wedding, are considerable expenses at this stage of my career. I don't think truly to hit FIRE in 10 years from now is pathological unless it were compromising something significant now. That I drive a 4runner/camry instead of a BMW while I may prefer the latter in some ways it gives me mental breathing room that I hold off on that for now.

The bigger problem is most doctors are terrible with money and their are certain societal norms or expectations on how we "should" be living. It is more of a battle with the dichotomy of that which is a struggle but less so as I progress in my career. It should be noted Since dec of 2018 i have gone on 3 week long vacations as I value experience over material things but its hard to spend your money if you are geared like that as we live in a very material world and you can't always get time off for experiences. Hence one of my dreams is to finish off this work cycle (2030) so i can truly enjoy traveling and culture around the world and I want to do it luxuriously if possible.

If it's all fine and there's nothing compulsive about it for you, what is it you hope will happen when you make thread after thread about this topic?

I kind of think talking to a therapist would be a good idea.

If it's all fine and there's nothing compulsive about it for you, what is it you hope will happen when you make thread after thread about this topic?

I kind of think talking to a therapist would be a good idea.

My hope was to help with the transition of doing the live like a resident expenses to the adjustment of being debt free and having excess money.
Like I was not a spend thrift resident at all. I find that being economical for the last few years sorta conditioned me to be more annoyed about smaller expenses than was the norm for me. If you were forced to live on an island filled with fruits/veggies for 5 years and got used to this eating then came back to the united states you'd have to sort of properly adjust back to eating a different way (ridiculous example I know)

My question is I'm sure many have done the live like a resident idea for a few years and then adjusted back to attending life so i was just wondering if they struggled at first or where there conscious adjustments they had to make. My friends simply say once you get married all will be fixed by your wife lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you are in a good pathway.
Remember that a “simple life style” for USA standards means more material things than a middle class family has in most parts of the world.

People in this country consume so much that their garage and basement become deposits for products they will rarely use in their lives. So be careful when you are comparing yourself with others.

True. I am sure you also plan to work for another 15-20 years would be a random guess on my part so that moderation makes perfect sense.

I'd vote for this approach. I don't mind never retiring. Rather than "live like a resident or whatever, " I made it a goal to put together a comfortable, controllable, enjoyable solo private practice doing lots of psychotherapy with interesting people. Someone said only a therapist can cheat death because they can be a part of so many lives.

My plan is to hopefully integrate more high fee per hour consulting in the future. My job is my favorite thing, so FIRE doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
True. I am sure you also plan to work for another 15-20 years would be a random guess on my part so that moderation makes perfect sense.

You’ll need to pull my medical license from my cold dead fingers. :laugh:

I started contributing to retirement intern year. I was moonlighting 2nd year. By graduation, I was debt-free and fully funding retirement. I could probably retire at age 40 without needing to try, but I have no such interest. I’ve already cut back to <35 hrs/week.

The majority of my patients bring me joy. As long as it’s fun, I’ll continue to work which I envision is forever. Weekly hours may drop, I may do telepsych on a mountain-side, and other aspects may change, but saving aggressively just to quit seems miserable.

Most years we save more than 33%, but it isn’t by trying. We spend $ going out to eat whenever we want. I have season tickets to a couple events, and we vacation. We don’t do any of these things often, but it’s because we don’t desire to do so. Eating peanut butter sandwiches and watching the kids splash around in a plastic pool on family farm land is a great Saturday to us.

You’ll need to pull my medical license from my cold dead fingers. :laugh:

I started contributing to retirement intern year. I was moonlighting 2nd year. By graduation, I was debt-free and fully funding retirement. I could probably retire at age 40 without needing to try, but I have no such interest. I’ve already cut back to <35 hrs/week.

The majority of my patients bring me joy. As long as it’s fun, I’ll continue to work which I envision is forever. Weekly hours may drop, I may do telepsych on a mountain-side, and other aspects may change, but saving aggressively just to quit seems miserable.

Most years we save more than 33%, but it isn’t by trying. We spend $ going out to eat whenever we want. I have season tickets to a couple events, and we vacation. We don’t do any of these things often, but it’s because we don’t desire to do so. Eating peanut butter sandwiches and watching the kids splash around in a plastic pool on family farm land is a great Saturday to us.

For clarification using your 1/3 rule model if someone had a business that after deductions their tax was based on let's say for simplicity 300k but they had already somehow taken a 100k deduction for various retirements like a 401k/cash balance to get to that number of 300k. Do you count that as meeting your 33% savings or do you base the savings number % on gross income?

Thanks.

My hope was to help with the transition of doing the live like a resident expenses to the adjustment of being debt free and having excess money.
Like I was not a spend thrift resident at all. I find that being economical for the last few years sorta conditioned me to be more annoyed about smaller expenses than was the norm for me. If you were forced to live on an island filled with fruits/veggies for 5 years and got used to this eating then came back to the united states you'd have to sort of properly adjust back to eating a different way (ridiculous example I know)

My question is I'm sure many have done the live like a resident idea for a few years and then adjusted back to attending life so i was just wondering if they struggled at first or where there conscious adjustments they had to make. My friends simply say once you get married all will be fixed by your wife lol.

Right but what I think people are saying is it's obviously hard for you to mentally shift from this "live like a resident" thought process to a more relaxed thought process by your own admission. Thus why you're making a thread essentially asking people to be your therapist for you. You're asking people "how do I shift my thinking so that I can think this other way instead of the way I'm currently thinking" (in a roundabout way by asking them how THEY shifted their thinking). If you're a psychiatrist and can't figure out psychotherapy would be helpful for that question....I don't know what you're telling your patients.

Nobody is saying this is for sure gotta be pathologic...just that with all this extra cash you're saving it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to spend a couple hundred bucks a month talking to an independent third party about ways to shift your mindset from the way it is now to the way you'd like it to be.

Reactions: 3 users
For clarification using your 1/3 rule model if someone had a business that after deductions their tax was based on let's say for simplicity 300k but they had already somehow taken a 100k deduction for various retirements like a 401k/cash balance to get to that number of 300k. Do you count that as meeting your 33% savings or do you base the savings number % on gross income?

Thanks.

When spouse and I own a few businesses, it has gotten more complicated, so a perfect % isn’t really possible ...... that would make clear sense over a post. Of course, I need to deduct employee costs, etc. now. In the past, we used the 1/3rd rule as a way to ensure we were saving appropriately. Save 1/3 of income for taxes. Left over (we never paid 1/3 taxes) was added to investments. Spend 1/3 on whatever.

Now we don’t focus on monthly spend because we know we are hitting the numbers without trying.

Next step is working on legal ways to reduce our taxes through specific investments which will add to retirement.

Right but what I think people are saying is it's obviously hard for you to mentally shift from this "live like a resident" thought process to a more relaxed thought process by your own admission. Thus why you're making a thread essentially asking people to be your therapist for you. You're asking people "how do I shift my thinking so that I can think this other way instead of the way I'm currently thinking" (in a roundabout way by asking them how THEY shifted their thinking). If you're a psychiatrist and can't figure out psychotherapy would be helpful for that question....I don't know what you're telling your patients.

Nobody is saying this is for sure gotta be pathologic...just that with all this extra cash you're saving it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to spend a couple hundred bucks a month talking to an independent third party about ways to shift your mindset from the way it is now to the way you'd like it to be.

I thought about this for the last few days. Residency was the first time I really ever made money and I adapted my spending to that and was extremely comfortable and happy. I mean spending 1500-1700 a month on credit card bills when u were spending 500 in med/college years is a large change and even then i had money left over.

Since being an attending i spent several hundred more a month than before and due to living in a LCOL area everything is very inexpensive. I also realized once i have enough to buy certain things my desire for them naturally drops greatly. I came to the realization that I am not a very materialistic person and value experiences hence why i am spending 1000's each on presumably 6-7 vacations this year. Time is the asset that I crave more than anything and I have that now in my life. My confusion was also confounded how others in my position spend their money and whenever you are doing something out of the norm I think you should question the reasons you're doing it. Most people spend money or lots of it sometimes to feel better (temporarily) about other internal/external conflicts like maybe wishing they had more time to vacation or relationship conflicts.

A little introspection was all that i needed. Thanks to all who gave input.

First of all, I am an avid WCI listener/reader and been very interested in money/finance/economics which would have been the route I went had I not enjoyed medicine and specifically psychiatry as much as I do.

If you find that you are not materialistic, I don't think you should be worrying much about FIRE or savings rate or pre/post tax issues. Just spend reasonable amounts on things that bring you joy and stick the rest into every tax advantaged account and then the rest in taxable accounts and approximate some reasonable distribution in asset classes that are not absurd (i.e. not having 1/3 in cryptocurrency or commodities). For folks with reasonable spending habits I think budgets actually get people to spend more. conversely for people terrible with money, budgets are essential. It would be actively difficult for us as DINK's to spend a 1/3 of our gross income that other people feel is actually frugal.

There's nothing wrong with building up a nest egg to support some children, take care of yourself/spouse if someone gets sick, or something changes and you do decide to retire or change careers BUT you have a huge advantage of being in a great profession with high pay and the ability to help people on a daily basis. Many people who get our type of pay have to do rent-seeking work at best or purely sycophantic work at worst. If one is in the later type of work, I see the appeal of aggressive saving much more then if you are a physician.

If you are geographically secure, a house is hardly a daunting expense, just a different form of renting, it's not as though that money just vanishes so your home will retain some of it's value in the worst case of scenario. I spent 5 figures on a ring as well (bit less than your expecting to, make sure you shop around because that budget should get you a pristine diamond) and while I felt queasy to start, it's been entirely worth it for the compliments my wife gets and her family feeling happy (almost was like a reverse dowry). If 50k makes the future wife happy for a wedding, that's pretty reasonable for american standards these days and aught to be a one time expense. Highly agree with spending heavily on travel. For what it's worth, I bought a BMW in cash my first year as an attending, but our other car is a Honda, and I am very glad to have both. My wife likes cars quite a bit so it was an easy choice for us, as it makes her happy and will come out to around $200 a month expense over a second Honda after we sell it (hoping to keep around 7 years and we bought a cheap BMW).

*hears FIRE and excitedly breaks in through the wall*

OP sounds like you're starting to have lifestyle creep :p 50k wedding with a 20k ring is not FIRE hahaha... (sorry not to gatekeep!)

I have been saving 35%+ of my take home salary ever since intern year. Back in residency I was dead set on FIRE by age 40 so I would do ridiculously frugaljerk things like bring ramen to lunch daily or eat mushrooms off the hospital lawn (that's another story...). All because I was completely MISERABLE in residency and hated every moment of it and wanted out.

Now that I am in fellowship I am infinitely happier and can actually see myself working with kids for an extended period of time. I am letting myself splurge a bit more on expenses and spending about $3-5 daily on veggies and coffee because I am no longer desperate to get out of the profession. It's weird because even though I love my current job, I find it hard to give up the FIRE lifestyle.

• Wow
*hears FIRE and excitedly breaks in through the wall*

OP sounds like you're starting to have lifestyle creep :p 50k wedding with a 20k ring is not FIRE hahaha... (sorry not to gatekeep!)

I have been saving 35%+ of my take home salary ever since intern year. Back in residency I was dead set on FIRE by age 40 so I would do ridiculously frugaljerk things like bring ramen to lunch daily or eat mushrooms off the hospital lawn (that's another story...). All because I was completely MISERABLE in residency and hated every moment of it and wanted out.

Now that I am in fellowship I am infinitely happier and can actually see myself working with kids for an extended period of time. I am letting myself splurge a bit more on expenses and spending about $3-5 daily on veggies and coffee because I am no longer desperate to get out of the profession. It's weird because even though I love my current job, I find it hard to give up the FIRE lifestyle.

You ate mushrooms off of the hospital lawn to survive because you felt so poor as a resident? Wtf..

You ate mushrooms off of the hospital lawn to survive because you felt so poor as a resident? Wtf..
No, because I was hungry and didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money to buy soggy salad from the cafeteria.

Also I saw rabbits trying to eat it so I figured it was safe so I shoo'd them away and eat it. (after washing them, of course)

again, not my proudest moment in life

• Wow
Regarding FIRE and frugal living, I used to think I was pretty bad until I worked with a guy who would show up at 7am to get a free parking space across the road from the ward. Back then we started at 9am and the cost of the regular hospital carpark was $5 a day –to put it into perspective the weekly cost was still less than one hour’s salary, and I figured the money saved wasn’t worth the sleep lost.

No, because I was hungry and didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money to buy soggy salad from the cafeteria.

Also I saw rabbits trying to eat it so I figured it was safe so I shoo'd them away and eat it. (after washing them, of course)

Why didn't you just go all in and eat the rabbits? More calorie-dense and nutritionally complete.

Medical training probably put the fear of tularemia in Monocles.

Or the cost of a hunting license, bow/gun + arrows/ammo, quality pressure cooker, masala seasoning would be too much financial burden for FIRE.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Medical training probably put the fear of tularemia in Monocles.

Or the cost of a hunting license, bow/gun + arrows/ammo, quality pressure cooker, masala seasoning would be too much financial burden for FIRE.
On the other hand, it might correct some patients' views of residents as "rich doctors" to peek out their hospital room window and see their doctor out on the hospital lawn, bow and arrow in hand, stalking rabbits.

Lol wat.

This is way lower than the not proudest moment of your life. Im pretty sure most of my homeless patients haven’t tried eating mushrooms off a lawn.

That's wtf-worthy.