Blitz2006

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
So I have offers (elective) in both. Main site Mt. Sinai (Manhattan) vs. Emory.

Just trying to figure out which would be better for myself, IMG, that is hoping to get a decent LOR for GSurg apps.

I'm leaning towards Emory, but for non-career reasons:

1) Its free (Mt. Sinai = $1000)
2) B1 visa is required by Emory, F1 for Mt. Sinai. And F1 is super annoying.
3) I'll be doing Step 2 CS at the time, which I believe there's a site in ATL (correct me if I'm wrong). Of course Philly is just down the road from NYC...

But of course, if Mt. Sinai >>>> Emory, I'll obv head to NYC.

Your 2 cents appreciated

Cheers,

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
So I have offers (elective) in both. Main site Mt. Sinai (Manhattan) vs. Emory.

Just trying to figure out which would be better for myself, IMG, that is hoping to get a decent LOR for GSurg apps.

I'm leaning towards Emory, but for non-career reasons:

1) Its free (Mt. Sinai = $1000)
2) B1 visa is required by Emory, F1 for Mt. Sinai. And F1 is super annoying.
3) I'll be doing Step 2 CS at the time, which I believe there's a site in ATL (correct me if I'm wrong). Of course Philly is just down the road from NYC...
While the commute isn't bad, Philly is not " just down the road" from NYC. It will require quite some time to travel there on the train or by car and then there's the return trip. Its a doable day trip, but I'd venture that staying in ATL for the exam would take less time.

I vote for Emory - basically I only had to read #1 to make that decision.

OP
B

Blitz2006

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Yeh, I agree. Its all relative, what I meant was that NYC - Philly is a doable one day trip, not like Boston or D.C to Philly....

So Emory = Mt. Sinai in terms of reputation/quality? Or is one or the other better?

Not only is Emory free, I'm fairly certain cost of living will be much less in ATL than NYC.....so that is also a factor.

Basically I'm looking for academic reasons to go to Mt. Sinai....

While the commute isn't bad, Philly is not " just down the road" from NYC. It will require quite some time to travel there on the train or by car and then there's the return trip. Its a doable day trip, but I'd venture that staying in ATL for the exam would take less time.

I vote for Emory - basically I only had to read #1 to make that decision.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Yeh, I agree. Its all relative, what I meant was that NYC - Philly is a doable one day trip, not like Boston or D.C to Philly....
That's not that far either - maybe 2.5 hours DC to Philly depending on traffic on the 95 (my brother lives in DC and my cousin in Philly, and I trained in Hershey, PA so I've done that drive a lot).

So Emory = Mt. Sinai in terms of reputation/quality? Or is one or the other better?
I don't think there's a significant difference. Others may disagree, but in terms of "academic reasons" I cannot say that one is much superior to the other.

Not only is Emory free, I'm fairly certain cost of living will be much less in ATL than NYC.....so that is also a factor.
That would most likely be true.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2002
New York
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did Liver transplant rotation at Mount Sinai this summer. PM me if u are interested to know my opinion.