Transplant surgery?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Chadleez1, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Chadleez1

Chadleez1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the path for transplant surgery in general? No specific organ.

2. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am really curious about this also. I was watching the show "Women Docs" (real life show)last night and there was a Transplant Surgeon on there and she did 8 years of general surgery residency and she was finishing up her 2 year fellowship in transplant surgery. I never thought general surgery took 8 years of residency but maybe I am wrong.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sistermike:
    <strong>I am really curious about this also. I was watching the show "Women Docs" (real life show)last night and there was a Transplant Surgeon on there and she did 8 years of general surgery residency and she was finishing up her 2 year fellowship in transplant surgery. I never thought general surgery took 8 years of residency but maybe I am wrong.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi there,
    My General Surgery residency program (University of Virginia) requires one or two years of research which adds up to seven years. If you do a two year transplant fellowship after, that's a grand total of nine years of training post medical school.

There are other General Surgery programs that can take up to eight years with research thrown in. Mayo Clinic comes to mind as I rotated through there as a fourth year medical student. It was one of the best General surgery programs that I encountered and I loved it there especially the research opportunities. :cool: