1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Transportation in Stony Brook

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sheepsheep, Apr 13, 2004.

1. sheepsheep

sheepsheep Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi to those in stony or planning to go...I heard from some students that it's pretty necessary to have a car. I don't have one (yet?)...am I going to survive the first year carless if I go to Stony? I know there's some buses but how about going to the supermarket or restaurants? Thanks for reading!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you will prob want to get a car. they have a few buses there but I think it would be a pain in the ass to get around without a car.

have you decided between SB and columbia yet?

4. sheepsheep

sheepsheep Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am strongly leaning towards Stony Brook...my dad would also like me to attend Stony instead because he feels that it is safer compared to Washington Heights and he would feel more at ease knowing I was in a more suburban neighborhood. Btw spooky42 (and anyone else), do you know if columbia's curriculum and stony brook's is the same? I know they're both combined medical and dental but what does that really mean?

5. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stony brook is def safer then Columbia area.

Both schools you take your basic science with the med studentss. At stony brook the dental student exams are graded on a separate curve, from what my cousin told me columbia you are graded with the med students.

hope that helps. I also think you can probably get instate at stony brook after a year, so that might make your decision easier.

6. mstalk

mstalk Member
    5+ Year Member

I would strongly suggest you getting in a car if you go to Stony Brook.
    I go there for undergrad. I did survive the first 3 years by not leaving the campus besides going to NYC by the LIRR, but you can't do that in Medical School.
    Most of the buses around there come once every 30 minutes and I don't really know where you would live without having to drive to school and back home.