Transporting patients with stretcher, wheelchair and bed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if transporting a patient is a good experience.
I am employeed as a patient transport serviceman here in South Korea (for the purpose of fulfilling CNA test clinical hours). But after reading through SDN, transporting patients isn't a good clinical experience or doesnt redeem as a clinical experience at all.
My clinical experience in the US comprises of doing the same- transporting patients out the hospital or to a different bed. Also I remember goro saying EMS are just glorified taxi drivers..
How do you think about patient transportation as a clinical experience?
@gonnif @Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if transporting a patient is a good experience.
I am employeed as a patient transport serviceman here in South Korea (for the purpose of fulfilling CNA test clinical hours). But after reading through SDN, transporting patients isn't a good clinical experience or doesnt redeem as a clinical experience at all.
My clinical experience in the US comprises of doing the same- transporting patients out the hospital or to a different bed. Also I remember goro saying EMS are just glorified taxi drivers..
How do you think about patient transportation as a clinical experience?
@gonnif @Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik
I think that this is a fine experience, unless the patients are either dead, or unconscious.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you could take advantage of the opportunity and try to get to know some of the patients you're transporting. You never know what kind of connections you can make. In my opinion, being able to be intellectually engaged in a conversation and give actual thoughts or input is a skill.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This was the bulk of my clinical experience and I honestly can’t remember it ever even being mentioned in an interview. Just emphasize the patient contact aspect and how it let you connect with/comfort them and it’ll look good

Reactions: 3 users
I think that this is a fine experience, unless the patients are either dead, or unconscious.
This is a relief! Thanks Goro!!
I thought that my whole volunteer experience was compromised.

I think you could take advantage of the opportunity and try to get to know some of the patients you're transporting. You never know what kind of connections you can make. In my opinion, being able to be intellectually engaged in a conversation and give actual thoughts or input is a skill.
Yeah and they often complain about why they have to take so many tests and move around so much. This got me thinking though: why do the doctors order so many tests? It definitely gave me an insight.

This was the bulk of my clinical experience and I honestly can’t remember it ever even being mentioned in an interview. Just emphasize the patient contact aspect and how it let you connect with/comfort them and it’ll look good
There are connections. Like one of the patients asked about my ethnicity. We had a good conversation about how she's interested in Korean culture. The chats were pretty nice when I volunteered.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't confuse what you were asked about at the interview with what helped get you the interview. Transport does get you close enought to patients to call it a clinical experience. You have to meet someone you don't know who may be tired, afraid, in pain, aggravated, or just happy to be going home. You have to successfully initiate a transfer in some cases from bed to wheelchair or gurney. You have to operate the equipment safely (don't be like the doofus who ran my casted leg into a wall while wheeling me to an elevator) and if you can walk and make small talk there are patients who will gladly pass the time talking about the weather, their grandchildren, or their favorite sports team. Give them that little respite from their boring days in the hospital.

It may not seem like much but it is what you make it as you say.

Reactions: 7 users
Don't confuse what you were asked about at the interview with what helped get you the interview. Transport does get you close enought to patients to call it a clinical experience. You have to meet someone you don't know who may be tired, afraid, in pain, aggravated, or just happy to be going home. You have to successfully initiate a transfer in some cases from bed to wheelchair or gurney. You have to operate the equipment safely (don't be like the doofus who ran my casted leg into a wall while wheeling me to an elevator) and if you can walk and make small talk there are patients who will gladly pass the time talking about the weather, their grandchildren, or their favorite sports team. Give them that little respite from their boring days in the hospital.

Oh absolutely. I meant brought up in a negative way, i.e., being told it wasn’t a ‘real’ clinical experience or anything. I should’ve been clearer

Reactions: 1 users

This is a relief. Most of the U.S. clinical experience I had was - talking to patients to find out what they need, deliver what they need, chat with them since being in the ICU does drive people crazy (boredom, pain, etc.) but beside those my job was mainly transporting them to their destinations in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it’s been addressed, but I also think this is a great experience.

It’s a great thing to be in and around a hospital as much as I’m sure that you have been. Not only that, but patients often talk - a lot - when getting transported, or groan - a lot - for the same reasons.

I think this is an experience that showcases 1) an ability to talk to patients, especially those who may be stressed heading to procedures or imaging and 2) having an intimate knowledge of hospitals and an extended period of time in a hospital.

I definitely think this should not only be discussed, but highlighted.

Transport personnel are often picked for their ability to interact with patients. Multiple factors come into play. How ill are they? Are they in pain? Have they suffered a trauma? Physical or emotional, both? Agree with how you frame you experience is important.