trauma fellowship

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by JS-UNMC, Feb 3, 2002.

1. JS-UNMC

JS-UNMC Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on surgical trauma fellowships. I have been visiting some web sites, but as established "trauma fellowships" are in their infancy... where are good programs that are well established and well recognized? I am looking at doing a five year general surgery residency and then either Cardiothoracic or Trauma fellowship. Any input would help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Michigan & Seattle are the most competative trauma-critical care fellowships. Keep in mind though, what makes a good fellowship is the research oppurtunities NOT in learning how to operate or manage trauma (that is assumed to have been learned in your surgery training). These kinds of fellowships are aimed @ surgeons who wish to do academic trauma positions with heavy emphasis on research. There are a # of one year trauma fellowships (where you don't get critical care boarded) that you essentially are a kind of super-chief resident, these are considerably less attractive positions

4. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

while I'm far from an expert on this subject, in my time in baltimore (as well as interviewing at u of Maryland) I've heard a lot about the fame of Maryland's trauma and shock trama center. It's probably worth investigating a little further, since it's tough for any non-JHU hospital to stand out in this city.