Trauma Level Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wazzuup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a website out there where I can find out the trauma level status for EM programs? Specifically I'm looking at Albert Eistein Long Island Jewish, I heard it's a level 2 place, and would thus deferr me from wanting to go there. I think most of the other places I'm going to are level 1, but just want to make sure. Thanks.

Off to U of Michigan next week, anyone interviewed there already? any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a word of caution about the status of trauma centers. All that they are is a number...it really does not dictate a lot about the amount of trauma that one sees. Let me give you an example.

I am at a hospital that is located in the city that just again reclaimed status as the "Most Dangerous City in America." We are not a Level 1 Trauma Center by ACS standards, and we are actually hoping to gain approval as a level 2 Trauma Center; however, the state has designated us as a trauma center. We get more priority 1 EMS runs than any other hospital in the city (4 EM residency programs in the city). We probably see more and do more trauma than anyone else in the city. In addition, we have a great relationship with the Truama Surgery staff so we do not alternate running traumas vs. doing procedures. It is always run by the ED staff, and the procedures are done by the ED residents and staff. Chest Tubes - ED resident, Thoracotomies - ED resident, Airway - ED resident, FAST exams - ED resident.

Someone told me that Level 1 ACS means that Truama Surgery needs to have a heavy hand in the way that traumas are run. I do not know if this is the case. I do know that the designation of level 1 status depends on who you have in-house or available for being on call in the event of trauma.

The word of caution here is ask the residents to see their procedure logs. Find out who runs the traumas. Find out what type of traumas they get. Find out who does the pediatric traumas. Find out who does the procedures. Don't get hung up on Level 1 status as you may overlook some great programs.

???? Grace-Sinai

Members don't see this ad :)
Like EMIMG said trauma center levels can be misleading. Neither the Bubba nor the homeboy ambulance services check trauma center designations before transport. For a quick summary of the difference between level 1 and 2 see

http://www.amtrauma.org/tiep/reports/ACSClassification.html

For a very incomplete list of level 1s and 2s by state see

http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html

This link also contains an email address for someone who might be able to confirm trauma status of other centers

When I lived in NY I don't remember LIJ being a hotbed of penetrating trauma but there is probably plenty of blunt from the expressways

Hey ERMudPhud, your first link didn't work. Can you give it again?

Thanks

I agree with most of the information that you have to see what each program is like for amount of trauma seen and level of involvement. Just a word from a level 1 trauma hospital program, we also run all the trauma, do all the intubations/fast exams/chest tubes, ect.... Just ask when you are at the program.

Nof55