PhD/PsyD Trauma/PTSD/dissociation Clinical PhD Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumapsychology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I will be applying to clinical PhD programs in the fall and am currently building my application list. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/directions in which to point me for programs strong in PTSD/trauma research, perhaps with a focus on things like dissociation, anxiety, personality disorders, or IPV (broad, I know)?

Specific programs and/or specific faculty interests to point me to would be very much appreciated.

I already have UCSD/SDSU and a few of their trauma researchers on my list but am told admission to UC programs is virtually impossible -- does anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, in terms of my second question above, my (extremely) brief background (in case this would help answer the question): I'm currently a junior psychology major with a lot of research, clinical, and work experience and I'm currently working on an honors thesis studying sleep, dissociation, and PTSD. I have a 3.77 GPA as well.

Thank you!! Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This is an often recommended resource: Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. Wish I had found it when I was a junior in undergrad. Might have saved me some headaches. Also, I don't think that your research interests sound too broad. You're just describing my 2:00 appointment.

I actually do have that book and I'm currently looking through it. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

As for my research interests -- I suppose they are somewhat more targeted, but I know some researchers like to focus on, for example, PTSD + anxiety, or PTSD + dissociation (or, at least, that's the case at my school now). Those are just the areas that pique my interest and I'm not sure if it will seem broad when applying.

Again, any particular faculty suggestions and/or programs would be great. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard good things about Tulane's program which has some faculty working with PTSD. They have a med school so it allows for research across disciplines (ed psych, clinical psych, neurology, psychiatry) which seems like it could be a great experience. Another user in the WAMC thread just said something about having similar interests and posted a list of programs they'd found.

I think people overestimate how difficult UC schools are to get into. However difficult admission to the UC schools may be, they admit students every year. They're no more highly competitive than other schools with similar reputations (based on Mitch Prinstein's tabulation of the data). Like any other school, this is a competitive field and you can't rely on getting in there, but I don't see any reason to not apply.

I think it's OK to be somewhat broad so long as you can demonstrate focus in an area that is relevant and of interest to the professors you are applying to work for.

Personally, I trawled through the list of APA accredited programs then went to individual university websites to identify professors I might like to work with. Given the breadth of your interests I might recommend that strategy. It can also give you a feel for the program by seeing who else works there and what they do (or say they do when they last updated their university webpage 5 years ago....).

I have also heard good things about Tulane, but they do not have a clinical program.

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I thought they had school and clinical programs.

Just a few, offhand:

Matthew Feldner, University of Arkansas
Matt Grey, University of Wyoming
Terri Messman-Moore, Miami University at Ohio
Jennifer Freyd, University of Oregon
Frank Weathers, Auburn University

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Check out the University of Missouri - St. Louis, they have a specific center for trauma recovery and more than 1 prof looking at trauma. Also check out University of North Carolina Greensboro (Blair Wisco). Columbia Teacher's College (Bonanno and maybe someone else too).

As someone suggested, go through the Insider's Guide will a fine-toothed comb and you will find a ton. Between the topics you mention you will find no shortage of programs of interest, I'm sure!

Also check out istss- it's the main society for ptsd research. A search through the abstracts from their last couple yearly meetings should give you some ideas.

Also check out istss- it's the main society for ptsd research. A search through the abstracts from their last couple yearly meetings should give you some ideas.

I never considered this before, this is a really great idea. You can review faculty research and see what's put out by their students.

University of Tennessee, Knoxville - Greg Stuart and Todd Moore study IPV.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I will be applying to clinical PhD programs in the fall and am currently building my application list. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/directions in which to point me for programs strong in PTSD/trauma research, perhaps with a focus on things like dissociation, anxiety, personality disorders, or IPV (broad, I know)?

Specific programs and/or specific faculty interests to point me to would be very much appreciated.

I already have UCSD/SDSU and a few of their trauma researchers on my list but am told admission to UC programs is virtually impossible -- does anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, in terms of my second question above, my (extremely) brief background (in case this would help answer the question): I'm currently a junior psychology major with a lot of research, clinical, and work experience and I'm currently working on an honors thesis studying sleep, dissociation, and PTSD. I have a 3.77 GPA as well.

Thank you!! Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Hi! I'm also considering programs with a strong history of trauma research. Here are some of the schools you might consider.

U. of Colorado at Colorado Springs (trauma)

Northern Illinois Univerity (trauma)

Saint Louis University (trauma)

Case Western (anxiety and PTSD)

U. of Denver (trama)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few people at University of North Dakota who you might be interested in.

Check U of Utah as well.
Are you thinking of anyone specific at the University of Utah. I'm checking it out because of Dr. Craig Bryan and his work with the National Center for Veterans Studies.

Also, Patricia Kerig

Wendy D'Andrea at the New School for Social Research has a great trauma lab. I'm a current MA student there (not in her lab) and she's wonderful and has really interesting projects going on. You do need to go through the MA program and apply to the PhD program after your MA though, but I had a great experience at NSSR and think she's worth checking out.

University of Missouri - St. Louis has lots of trauma training opportunities

Jennifer Freyd at University of Oregon is another great name in the trauma field.

EDIT: I just saw someone else mentioned her above, so you know she has a name among us. Check her out. She is widely cited and has a lot of great research available.