OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
This thread has been removed, due to inappropriate use of the thread.
 

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
1,345
1
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
I live in Texas/Oklahoma and am looking for rotations in Trauma Surgery, ICU, and Pediatric Emergency Medicine.

I would prefer something within a driveable distance and with housing/meals provided, but I am open to other locations/opportunities as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

(A drivable distance would include the following states: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana.)
How do you live in both Texas and Oklahoma? Nevermind. Are you talking 3rd or 4th year rotations? If you can make it all the way to Tennessee, try Vanderbilt for your ICU month. I doubt anyone would give you housing or meals no matter where you go unless it's a special program with a stipend and you'd be competing for that prize.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Pox in a box said:
How do you live in both Texas and Oklahoma? Nevermind. Are you talking 3rd or 4th year rotations? If you can make it all the way to Tennessee, try Vanderbilt for your ICU month. I doubt anyone would give you housing or meals no matter where you go unless it's a special program with a stipend and you'd be competing for that prize.
I attend school in Oklahoma, but my permanent address is with my parents in Texas. I'm interested in 4th year rotations.

Most of the rotations in Oklahoma offer housing, and I have some friends in Ohio that not only offer housing, but they pay for a hotel for you to stay in. I'm interested to find out if there are any other programs that do this.
 
About the Ads

nabeya

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
215
15
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
UT Southwestern in Dallas might have something youre looking for. But I bet you've already checked there. They have a list of all their electives on their website.
OSUdoc08 said:
I attend school in Oklahoma, but my permanent address is with my parents in Texas. I'm interested in 4th year rotations.

Most of the rotations in Oklahoma offer housing, and I have some friends in Ohio that not only offer housing, but they pay for a hotel for you to stay in. I'm interested to find out if there are any other programs that do this.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
nabeya said:
UT Southwestern in Dallas might have something youre looking for. But I bet you've already checked there. They have a list of all their electives on their website.
I'm already going to try to do an EM rotation there, and I may only be able to do one more. Either way, they are very competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a rotation there. I definitely need other options.

Thanks.
 

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
1,345
1
Status
Does OSU not have any good clinical programs? I would think your friend Goljan would have something to do with beefing up the rest of your school.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Pox in a box said:
Does OSU not have any good clinical programs? I would think your friend Goljan would have something to do with beefing up the rest of your school.
The only Children's hospital and level 1 trauma center are in Oklahoma City and are affiliated with OU.
 

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
1,671
13
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
Scott and White and Texas Tech are supposed to have excellent ED programs. Maybe you can try there and if LSU is accepting students, do a rotation in New ORleans or Shreveport?
 

enanareina

small but scrappy
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
64
0
Houston, TX
Status
Medical Student
UT Houston has a trauma rotation at Memorial Hermann, level I trauma center. I don't think the school offers housing to rotating students, but students often offer their apartments for sublease and/or trade housing.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
enanareina said:
UT Houston has a trauma rotation at Memorial Hermann, level I trauma center. I don't think the school offers housing to rotating students, but students often offer their apartments for sublease and/or trade housing.
The outlook doesn't sound good for medical student rotations in Houston. You have to pay for meals, housing, and expensive daily parking, as well as for very expensive application fees just to be considered for a rotation.

I decided to do a SICU rotation at Baylor in Dallas, and I'm probably going to look at Austin, Corpus, and Dallas for Children's ER.

I'm still looking out for trauma surgery choices other than Dallas, however.
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
9,768
23
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
OSUdoc08 said:
There isn't a level I trauma center in the state of Oklahoma. The only Children's hospital is in Oklahoma City, and is affiliated with OU.
I could have sworn that one of my flight paramedic friends from OK told me there was a level I in OKC....
 

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
May 14, 2004
21,190
7,042
knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
Status
Attending Physician
DropkickMurphy said:
I could have sworn that one of my flight paramedic friends from OK told me there was a level I in OKC....
last time I checked OU Medical Center was still a level 1 trauma center,


Please note the sarcasm above AND below
 

nabeya

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
215
15
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not sure they allow DO students for rotations at childrens hospital. I do know they have DO residents rotating there for a month for the traditional rotating internship at one of the neighboring hospitals, but I don't think students are allowed, except from OU.

Hernandez said:
last time I checked OU Medical Center was still a level 1 trauma center,
 
About the Ads
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Hernandez said:
last time I checked OU Medical Center was still a level 1 trauma center,
You're right.
 

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
May 14, 2004
21,190
7,042
knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
Based on Oklahoma standards it is, but based on Texas standards it is not.
Wrong, based on the American College of Surgeon's accreditation standards.

OSUdoc08 said:
Either way, it is OU's hospital, and it would be difficult to get a rotation there.
And I guess you know this because you've tried? I'm truly shocked that one of the directors of the OU program is listed in the preceptors list for electives, so I guess it's impossible for us to rotate through there even though it's been done. :rolleyes:
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Deleted.
 

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
May 14, 2004
21,190
7,042
knee deep in dog muck and crusty jugglers......
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
You'll have to forgive me since I recieved this information from the Executive Director of Oklahoma's American College of Emergency Physicians.
I find it rather interesting how many connections you have and how often they seem to be wrong.

OSUdoc08 said:
The harsh attitude isn't needed.
After you post history, you really have no room to dictate what is and isn’t needed or appropriate in terms of harshness, especially on SDN. And it's a little irritating that you habitually go back and edit your posts when you’ve shown to be wrong.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Deleted.
 

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
5,573
9
37
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hernandez said:
I find it rather interesting how many connections you have and how often they seem to be wrong.
there's something about OSU that just attracts conflict. Its either him, or every single other person here...
And it's a little irritating that you habitually go back and edit your posts when you’ve shown to be wrong.
Yeah I was wondering about that, kinda lame.
 
OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Hernandez said:
Oh I'm sorry, did you not read my Disclaimer? Please note the sarcasm above
You must confusing my disclaimer with yours. There is not need to post on this thread anymore, since the topic is now moot.
 
About the Ads