Trauma Surgery??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

styphon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some information on Trauma Surgery?
How long of a residency is this?Must you first start in General Surgery then do a fellowship?Is there other ways?
What are the others like for a Trauma Surgeon?The pay?The procedures a trauma surgeon normally does?Is he/she involved with the Emergency Room?

Members don't see this ad.

Trauma surgeons are general surgeons that have completed the standard 5 year residency. Most of them also do a trauma fellowship that I think lasts about a year, or a trauma/critical care fellowship that is 2 years. From what I gather they work very closely with ER doctors as that is where they get most of their cases.

Trauma surgery

Pay: good to excellent (200-400k year from what I've heard)

Hours: terrible. If someone gets hurt, you've got to be there, and there's lot of call. Kind of like transplant surgery that way. And someone with multiple injuries may require 10-20 hours on the table...

Procedures: Lots. By necessity, trauma surgeons have to be familiar with all aspects of surgery. They frequently work in teams on difficult cases, letting the cardiac surgeon to the heart, etc, but they are usually in control of the operation.

I considered it, but ultimately dropped the idea because of the hours. If you like living in the hospital, it's probably a fantastic job.

ERIC

We had a related discussion in another thread (which perhaps someone could find the URL for) which talks about the differences in practice amongst hospitals. Here the Trauma Surgeons do not really work closely with the ED - all Traumas are handled by Surgery residents and faculty and anyone rotating through a Surgical department (which never includes ER residents).