Trauma Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read today in an old article of NYU Physician that the Trauma and Critical Care dept at Bellvue is attempting to establish a trauma surgery residency. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you mean a fellowship, then... I find it hard to believe they don't already have one! At bellevue?! The free hospital for the gangs and drug dealers of New York?!! Come on... people get shot there like every five seconds.

It's about time they got moving on that. You'll get some excellent, hazardous training, assuming your patients aren't conscious enough to attack you first.

Assuming you mean a fellowship, then... I find it hard to believe they don't already have one! At bellevue?! The free hospital for the gangs and drug dealers of New York?!! Come on... people get shot there like every five seconds.

It's about time they got moving on that. You'll get some excellent, hazardous training, assuming your patients aren't conscious enough to attack you first.

No, I mean a residency in trauma surgery. Im sure they have the Trauma/CC fellowship, but it sounded in the article like they wanted to set up a full residency for trauma surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything about this, but sounds like a strange idea...you already get a ton of exposure to trauma at most big city (urban) residencies.

Now for the smaller, community hospitals...maybe not.

Bellevue Hospital/NYU doesn't have a Trauma/Critical Care Surgery fellowship.

No, I mean a residency in trauma surgery.

While there is talk of acute care surgery becoming a specialty or seperate field, it hasn't started yet. A "residency" in trauma surgery would either be a general surgery residency that is simply marketed as trauma or an entirely unaccredited program leading to no board eligibility. If the latter, I don't think it would be eligible for federal funding.