SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Trauma Surgery

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by DOnut, Aug 31, 2002.

  1. DOnut

    DOnut Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 17, 2001
    New Orleans, LA
    How does one go about becoming a trauma surgeon? Do you have to do a fellowship after completing a G. Surg residency?? I've always wanted to know.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. droliver

    droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    May 1, 2001
    You become a "trauma surgeon" by being a general surgeon who takes trauma patients. There is no board-certification in it. The fellowships in trauma are 1 or 2 years, with the two year programs allowing you to get eligibility to sit for your critical care board. These fellowships are for the most part non-operative types of setups (they assume you learned that during your residency) with a supervisory role for the residents in a junior faculty role as well as a heavy emphasis on bench research for priming your academic career (almost everyone who does these fellowships is planning on going into academics as they're not much use for private practice careers)
  4. dr.evil

    dr.evil Senior Member Physician 7+ Year Member

    Oct 30, 2001
    Many surgeons will do a trauma/critical care fellowship to become chair/director of trauma at a level 2 and sometime level 1 center in a private practice setting. This allows them to be the trauma lord (and paid accordingly) while also continue their private practice. A nice supplement. But really, there's no reason a general surgeon couldn't do the same thing. You just have better odds of getting that type of setup if you've had the fellowship.

Share This Page