Trauma Treatment Models: Models, Treatment, Research, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what models people utilize, and/or what models people have read/researched/used in the past. If you are new to the area.....what have you heard about the area, and/or what do you still want to learn about the area? (I'm still very much building my knowledge base, so this is more exploratory in nature, and hopefully a place to talk about the research surrounding the areas of trauma)

Right now I use a hybrid approach that takes in account many of the feminist ideas that Judith Herman advocates, with a focus on understanding and empowerment. Her Trauma & Recovery book is one of my all-time favorites, and definitely a must-own for people in this field.

When I get a chance, I'll dig up some citations to get the ball rolling in regard to the research aspect of the area.

So....

1. What models have you heard of, read about, researched, utilized, etc?
2. If you are new to the area.....what have you heard about the area, and/or what do you still want to learn about the area?
3. Have you come across any notable research, or want to find out about any specific areas of trauma work/research?

-t

Members don't see this ad.

Therapist4Change

Have you looked into Collin Ross and his information/material/system. I have attneded on of his presentations and worked at Timberlawn Hospital in Dallas. At Timberlawn one of the units is called the Collin Ross Trauma Institue or something like that, but it is dedicated to providing care to Pts with DID, Borderline and a few other diagnosises. From time to time that have trainings and observation periods where you can gain more training in working with these Pts.

I do not nesseccairly endorse his particular model of therapy and defining trauma but it is an interesting theory that he has presented. PM me if you want more specific information or you can follow this link.

http://www.rossinst.com/index.html

Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Herman's book is excellent in terms of both clinical practice and the research she sites!! Are you interested in kids or adults? Child abuse, neglect, sexual trauma, medical trauma, refugee and war trauma? As I'm sure you know there are some significant differences as well as commonalities.

I really find Anne Alvarez's writings compelling. In "Live Company" she describes her clinical work with autistic and deprived/abused children and integrates a lot of the newer infant research, neuropsych, and developmental psychoanalysis.

Also Fonagy and Target out of the Anna Freud Center have some facinating publications on their concept of "mentalization".

For the less analytically inclined Robert Pynoos and the National Child Traumatic Stress network might be interesting. I think they offer a free online course on trauma-focused CBT. I took it and can find the link if anyone is interested.

I'll think on some adult references as well.

m

I really find Anne Alvarez's writings compelling. In "Live Company" she describes her clinical work with autistic and deprived/abused children and integrates a lot of the newer infant research, neuropsych, and developmental psychoanalysis.

m

I was surprised to see autism in the same sentence as deprived/abused children. Does Alvarez see a relationship between the two?

I was surprised to see autism in the same sentence as deprived/abused children. Does Alvarez see a relationship between the two?

That's a good question. In the book Alvarez is really looking at factors that positively or negatively effect the psychological development children. So she writes about the challenges presented by extremely disturbed children (i.e. autistic, abused, borderline). She stresses the importance of positive experiences in early life and of recognizing the emergence of creative and reparative processes in psychotherapy in order to foster development of the capacity to think and learn. So the answer to your question is not yes or no but rather it's complicated.

I have heard that cutting edge ptsd-researchers recommend body work as the main or additional modality. traumaprevetion.com has resources on ptsd treatment. more generally, yogafordepression.com deals with treatment through the body. Another book which deals with body approaches to trauma is Waking the Tiger. Good luck.

Right now I use a hybrid approach that takes in account many of the feminist ideas that Judith Herman advocates, with a focus on understanding and empowerment. Her Trauma & Recovery book is one of my all-time favorites, and definitely a must-own for people in this field.

-t

I started reading that book after seeing this thread, and it is really great so far! :thumbup:

Acceptance Commitment Therapy is the buzz at the National Center for PTSD where I am on 3rd year practicum.

Have you read Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society by Bessel van der Kolk, et. al.?

Have you read Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society by Bessel van der Kolk, et. al.?

No, but it'll go on my Amazon book list! (Whenever someone suggests a book that sounds interesting, I add it to my list. Every amazon order I place I throw in a book or two from my list. It is a pretty good method to keep worthwhile books around)

-t

Not to brag (well, sort of, ha!), I've met Dr. van der Kolk :)

I think it's great that your a fan of van der Kolk, however, in the trauma "community" he is really not a heavy hitter. If you are interested in PTSD check out Keene T; Foa E ; Resick P; Litz B; Weathers F; Putnam F; King, D & King L to name a few.

Resick P -- as in, cognitive processing theory?

Geez, it's a small world.

:giggles to self:

I think it's great that your a fan of van der Kolk, however, in the trauma "community" he is really not a heavy hitter. If you are interested in PTSD check out Keene T; Foa E ; Resick P; Litz B; Weathers F; Putnam F; King, D & King L to name a few.

Keane, T and Foa E are both contributors to the book I mentioned (Traumatic Stress). :D van der Kolk, McFarlande and Weisaeth are listed as editors and are also contributors.

I will indeed check out the rest. :)