Travel accomodations/sharing/pricing/suggestions C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I tried to do some search on the issue of traveling for interviews. I found a thread in International dental forum but none for pre-dental forum.
I decided to make this thread because I think we would save a lot of money if people share their knowledge on different aspects of interview travel.

Things that could be discussed include:

1) Cheap places to stay around the school of interest.
2) Where to buy flight tickets, which agencies/travel services to use.
3) Sharing hotel rooms.
4) Information on cheapest travel within cities (to save money by not taking taxis).
5) Other knowledge about schools that might be of interest to us, pre-dents, in order to decide which school to pick.

I personally live 2 blocks away from UW and have been here for 3 years so I know a bunch of stuff about where to stay to be close, public transportation, other things. if anyone needs this info, let me know.

I have an interview at Case (hopefully, will schedule for Sept. 16). The packet included a lot of useful info about housing. Besides the frat house (Delta Delta Sigma) other places were $80+ a night. Gotta search for cheaper stuff:)

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Pittsburgh (~1 mile from Pitt) if anyone needs any advice

btw Godly stats you got there Zub ;) I envy you! Assuming/hoping you worked super hard for them

Members don't see this ad :)
sidestep.com is another good site for tickets!

as soon as you get the interview invite, i would look at the Interview Feedback link...lots of good info there about hotels/transportation/etc.

good luck with the application cycle!

I know i'm definately crashing at my fraternity's house in any city I get an interview in! lol, heck why not?!

Usually schools provide you with list of hotels that are nearby, and usually those hotels have special discounts for students who are invited for interviews. When I received my interview invite from Nova, the package included a list of such hotels. Both UCLA and UCSF did the same thing last year.

So, it shouldn't be that difficult finding a place.

Does anyone know where to stay for Indiana University?

Hotels.com has a promotion that if you book 10 nights with them, you get one free. This may be a good way to book. Plus sometimes they give you $50 Visa gift cards for booking certain hotels.

Anyone knows what are the cheapest places to stay near U Penn and U Michigan? I am flying from Seattle.. will not have a car, would prefer walking or taking public transportation to the U. :)

download ding from Southwest. dirt cheap tickets normally under 100 round trip. and you can always look up hostels in each city. That will set you back 20bucks. and most airlines publish last minute fares on wed or have specials if you book out 2 week in advance.