travel advice for PA and NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gellybean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of some travel advice. I will be interviewing up at Penn State and Temple in 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me how I can get from Hershey to Philadelphia without driving?

Also, I will also be interviewing at NYMC soon. How can I get from Valhalla to NYC without driving?

Please help! List any options that you can think of. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PA Advice I don't know which interview is first, but I'm assuming you're going to Penn State first for ease of giving directions :) I believe you can take AMTRAK from Harrisburg (station is about 15-20 minute cabride from Hershey) to Philadelphia. You're other alternative may be to take Greyhound. The train will cost you $50-75 and Greyhound is probably $10-20 cheaper.

AMTRAK will take you to 30th Street Station in Philly. If you're staying in Center City, you will be near the subway and can take it right to the school. The orange line goes north and south on Broad Street. You take the Express to Erie and walk two blocks south to the campus of the Local to Allegheny and walk two blocks north.

I'm not sure where the bus station is in Philly.

NY Advice From Manhattan, you can take the local Metro North out of Grand Central. I think it's the Harlem Line that takes you right to White Plains or North White Plains. The train ride will take 35-40 minutes depending on when you catch it. You may want to avoid stopping at Valhalla which is the town where NYMC is because the cab service is not as great there. More cabs are found in White Plains. The cabride is about 10 minutes.

Good luck!

Dr. Kermit,

Isn't Temple's medical school near the hospital complex? When I interviewed for residency there the train did not get very close to the hospital. It stopped right near the undergrad campus, but not medical.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get to grand central station in NY, there's a train that leaves for Valhalla. It's the North Metro Harlem Line. It'll get you off at Valhalla. Then when you get off, go to the resturant at the bottom of the train station (it looks like a train itself) and call a cab to take you to where you need to go. Now if you get into Valhalla late, the resturant may be closed and then you'll be out of luck in terms of the cab. So..plan to get to Valhalla before 9pm or so, so you can guarantee you catch a cab. Train ride takes about 30 mintues or so.

I've taken the orange line to the medical school three times, so yes, you can definitely take the subway to the campus :) The stop you are thinking about is "Temple-Main Campus." You have to use one of the two stops I mentioned to get to the medical school!

Thanks for the help guys. Am I right to assume that I can take a train from white plains back to nyc? do you know what this train is called. also, do they have station managers at the train stations in case i get lost. thanks again!

It is the same train, the Harlem Line, that goes to Valhalla and white plains. Going back into NY, I went out of White Plains. It isn't that far from NYMC. Just make sure you get there early to ensure you can catch a cab out of there.