Travel from newark airport to nymc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
interviewfeedback gave some info, but i was wondering if anybody had anything with more detail.

like can i take a shuttle? people have mentioned a town called white plain, how do i get to nymc from there?

is there a way to get a hold a shuttle service from alaska to arrange something in advance?

any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, this might be a little hard for you if you're not familiar with NY. Go to NYMC's website, they have limo and taxi service numbers for transportation b/w NYC airports and NYMC. I know they list La Guardia, JFK, and White Plains airport. Have you already booked your tickets? It might be more expensive to fly into White Plains, but if you're not from the area, it may be easier for you to manage. The airport is about 15-20 minutes from NYMC and there are hotels in the area. Hope all this info helps.

These directions are good dude. check with the school to make sure that they are not closer to the White Plains North Amtrak Exit:

if you're coming in from JFK, find a way to get to Grand Central Station_ cab-35$. You can get a shuttle to Penn station and then get a subway shuttle to Grand Central. Then get on the AMTRAK to white plains (prob. a 40min trip-5$). then get in a cab and go to NYMC- another 5$.

if you're coming into LaGuardia, get on the M60 bus (1.5$) and get off at the 125st. AMTRAK station. (do not be freaked out that you are in the heart of east harlem_ it's rep is not accurate). then get on the train to white plains (5$) and then the cab to NYMC(5$).

Members don't see this ad :)
You are talking about Newark Airport in NJ not NYC airports, right?? Like Dr. Kermit said, if you are not book for that flight, I suggest changing it so that you can arrive at one of the NYC ones. If you are solid booked for that flight, I suggest taking the NJ transit to Penn Station in NYC which is only 15 minutes by train. But as far as the detailed directions go, my fiance manages a limo company and he knows how to get to almost every place in NYC and NJ, so I will ask him and post another reply for you. Congrats on NYMC interview. I wish I could get an interview from them next year. :)

Don't ever get off at 125th street....

if you're coming in from JFK, find a way to get to Grand Central Station_ cab-35$. You can get a shuttle to Penn station and then get a subway shuttle to Grand Central. Then get on the AMTRAK to white plains (prob. a 40min trip-5$). then get in a cab and go to NYMC- another 5$.

I'm not sure, but i think choker meant you'll be at the Metro North @ 125th Street.

Ok, he says the same thing like Choker. Arrive at Newark Airport in NJ. From there, you can take NJ Transit to NYC Penn Station. Then, follow Choker's directions... At Penn Station, get a subway shuttle to Grand Central. Then, get on the AMTRAK to White Plains. Then, get a cab to NYMC. Good luck!

As a student at NYMC I would say take the shuttles listed on the NYMC webpage. The shuttle will take you to White plains and then you can take a cab to the school (less than $10). Traveling around the city can be very confusing if you are not familar with the city. Also the way the shuttles usually work is you do not need a reservation but instead you just show up and there are always some waiting outside the airport.

Uh, I don't mean to be a pain, but...

You cannot take "Jersey Transit" from the Newark airport. First you must take a bus to Newark Penn Station and then take the train. From NPS you can take Jersey Transit, but that would be silly. What you would want to do is take the PATH train (leaves frequently)to 33rd street (which incidently is in the basement of NYC Penn station). The PATH is like the subway and it only costs 1.00. The bus to NPS cost $4.00 a few years ago, I haven't used it in a while. Alternatvely, you can take a bus straight to the city. It used to cost $10.00 and would take you to the bus station which is about 10 blocks from NYC Penn station.

Hope that helps,

Ed

You have already invested so much money in the quest for becoming a medical student, now is not the time to save money. If you arrive at Newark, look for a cab or limousine service that will take you directly there and hang the cost. You want to be fresh and ready to do a good job on the interview: your future may depend on it. Interview costs, while expensive, will be a tiny fraction of the total cost from college freshman to practicing physician.

You also want to arrive the morning of the day BEFORE the interview so you can relax and then visit the medical school school to speak with medical students and find out everything you might want to know about the interview itself and the medical college--not their PR--from medical students.

Be prepared, more than a Boy Scout motto.

okay guys,

thanks for all the advice. i chose to fly into newark cause it was a good couple to three hundred dollars cheaper, and from what i understand, it really isn't that far out of new york.

i am going to rent a car, it is going to cost about $100 for two days, cause i'm not 25 (extra $27/day). if i study some maps, is it going to be that hard to drive up to nymc? when i get the map going and what not i will give my pruposed route, let me know if it is going to work.

btw, how far is it to drive down to boston from newark?

thanks all.

boston is about 5-6 hours up.

best way is to take a train to boston from NY.

MAKE SURE YOU GET GOOD, VERY SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS. the signs and highways in New York and NJ absolutely suck compared to the rest of the country. very very ambiguous and incomprehensive.

-i strongly suggest going north through new jersey to across the tappan zee bridge. white plains is right across from it.
-if you decide to get to white plains a la the city and the GW bridge, it's much more complicated, and it's really pretty difficult to drive in the city, especially if you're not sure where you're going_ but i dont think you need to actually get off a highway in the city to get to white plains from the GW bridge.

-choker.